Wednesday 21 October 2015

Wednesday Catch Up 21st October 2015

Every Wednesday we are linking up with WWW Wednesday, What Are You Reading Wednesday? and Waiting on Wednesday. WWW Wednesday is hosted at Taking on a World of Words and asks 3 questions: What are you currently reading?, What did you recently finish reading? What do you think you'll read next? This is a similar meme to This Week in Books, hosted at Lipsyy Lost & Found.
What Are You Reading Wednesday are hosted on It's a Reading Thing and asks;
1. What's the name of your current read?
2. Go to page 34 or 34% in your e-book and share one complete sentence.
3. Would you like to live in the world that exists within your book? Why or why not?
Waiting on Wednesday is hosted at Breaking the Spine and is a chance to show what upcoming releases you are excited for! Each week we will take it in turns to choose a book for Waiting on Wednesday and this week was Ann's turn!

Ann:
Currently Reading:
Girl Online On Tour (Girl Online, #2)The Secret Diary of Lizzie BennetLittle Women (Little Women, #1)
GIRL ONLINE ON TOUR! I was very excited for this book and because I have the BEST SISTER EVER she got me a SIGNED COPY! I love you Clare. I am also reading The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet which Clare got me last week and I am loving it. I am still reading Little Women but am nearly finished and am hoping to have finished it soon.
"Standing by the passenger door of the nondescript black car, holding a big black umbrella, is a big, burly looking man with a bald head so shiny I'm almost certain I can touch up my make-up in it." - Girl Online On Tour
I would love to live in this world because if I lived there it would mean that I lived in Brighton which is were Zoe and Alfie live so I would be living near them and also be near the sea because I love the sea and the beach. 

Recently Finished:
The Hollow Boy (Lockwood & Co., #3)Texas Gothic (Goodnight Family #1)
I am very proud of my self because I have recently finished both Texas Gothic and The Hollow Boy both of which were amazing books. I will have a full review up for The Hollow Boy on Saturday.

Planning to Read Next:
The Splendour Falls
Next I am planning on reading Splendor Falls which is written by the author of Texas Gothic which I really enjoyed so hoping Splendor Falls is as good.

Clare:
Currently Reading:
A Bundle Of LettersSlasher Girls & Monster BoysBlack Widow: Forever Red
I am currently reading A Bundle of Letters by Henry James which is one of his short stories. Today I will be reading the penultimate story in Slasher Girls & Monster Boys which is Stitches by A.G. Howard and I will be finishing the anthology tomorrow. I have really enjoyed it so far and will have a review up soon. I am also currently reading Black Widow Forever Red by Margaret Stohl which I have high hopes for! 
"DOD: Was that the case?Romanoff: (Pausing) That would be classified intel, sir.DOD: And this would be a classified DOD/LODD hearing, Agent, would it not?Romanoff: (sits back from mic)" - Black Widow Forever Red
Page 34 is a transcript of an Inquiry Hearing. I actually like this. Romanoff is being so mysterious. I love her. I am so looking forward to really getting into this book! I wouldn't want to live in any of these book worlds though. Unless I can be Black Widow. That I'd like. But being plunged into the Marvel universe with no training and no special powers would be a nightmare. I'd be one of those screaming women in the background looking confused! 

Recently Finished:
A Madness So DiscreetThe Dead Girls of Hysteria HallThe Masked Truth
The Heartless CityThe Pension BeaurepasWalk on Earth a Stranger (The Gold Seer, #1)Death in BerlinDeath in CyprusDeath in KenyaDeath in ZanzibarDeath in the Andamans (Death In..., #6)The Next Together
Last Wednesday I had just started A Madness So Discreet by Mindy McGinnis which I really enjoyed, I have a full review of it up here. I then read The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall by Katie Alender which was less creepy than I had expected - and I wasn't expecting much creepiness - but there was rather a good twist which I liked. The Masked Truth exceeded all my expectations, I was so scared whilst reading it (in a good way) and I really loved the mystery. After that I read The Heartless City by Andrea Berthot which I will have a full review up for tomorrow. It provided me with one of my favourite male characters of all time in the form of Elliot. I then finished my second classic of the month which was The Pension Beaurepas by Henry James, this was a short story of around 60 pages so didn't take me long but it wasn't the most thrilling of reads! It was more a character study than anything else and there wasn't so much a plot as it was 60 pages of people watching. Which I actually kind of enjoyed. I thought Walk on Earth a Stranger by Rae Carson was a good start to the series and I definitely liked the main character, Leah/Lee. I will have my review for this up on Friday. Then the rest of the Death in... series arrived which threw off my reading plans because I wanted to read them straight away. I read Death in Kashmir last week so this week I read Death in Berlin, Death in Cyprus, Death in Kenya, Death in Zanzibar and Death in the Andamans by M.M. Kaye. I liked these but I think I prefer Death in Kashmir, perhaps because I enjoyed the setting a lot more. They are extremely quick reads (I read them all in one night) and very fun. I just finished The Next Together by Lauren James although the whole science side of it and the sort-of time-travel confused the heck out of me - which is nothing new. I keep trying time travel and I keep getting confused. When will I learn?

Planning to Read Next:
Life and Death: Twilight ReimaginedCarry OnNever Never
I am not sure how I feel about reading Life and Death, I basically caved to curiosity and bought it. I am not a huge Twilight fan although I did enjoy it the first time I read it so we shall see. I will almost definitely be writing a review for this. Carry On by Rainbow Rowell has been probably my most anticipated release of 2015 and since everyone I know who has read it absolutely loved it, I can hardly wait to get started! Never Never looks like a really great retelling and I don't believe I've read any Peter Pan retellings so this will definitely be a unique read for me. 

Waiting on Wednesday:
Harry Potter Coloring Book
Packed with stunning pieces of artwork from the Warner Bros. archive, this deluxe coloring book gives fans the chance to color in the vivid settings and beloved characters of J.K. Rowling’s wizarding world. Containing intricate line drawings used in the making of the Harry Potter films, this coloring book includes fan-favorite scenes, creatures, and characters: from Dobby and baby Norbert to Quidditch games and the unforgettable final battle between Harry and Lord Voldemort.

Unique and interactive, Harry Potter: The Official Coloring Book is a perfect collector’s item for all fans of the blockbuster saga--whether it's for those who grew up with Harry, Ron, and Hermione, or those who are discovering the magic for the very first time.

Ann: I am very excited for the Harry Potter Colouring book because like my sister I enjoy colouring and love Harry Potter! This will be released on the 10th November.

You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading

16 comments:

  1. I loved The Little Women - the name of my blog comes from that book! :) I'm interested to read the Henry James book you're currently reading, I'm going to add that to my wishlist. I've read most of his novels but have never read any short stories. I've got The Next Together on my TBR but am a bit daunted by it as, like you, I love the idea of time travel novels but I get confused so easily and can't keep track of where characters are in time!

    Here’s my WWW Wednesday:
    https://rathertoofondofbooks.wordpress.com/2015/10/21/www-wednesdays-21-october/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find I really like Henry James' short stories so I hope you enjoy it if you do get to check it out. I found a whole set of his novels and short stories (not all of them just a lot) in a charity shop a while back and I've been working my way through them! I thought I was fine with The Next Together and I was feeling so proud of myself for keeping track of everything and then some big plot twist happened about 3/4 of the way through and I got completely thrown and I was just blindly confused from there on which was a shame because otherwise I was enjoying it! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  2. Wow - how many books! :0
    I really enjoyed the Twilight series when it first came out as it was something a bit different and it hit the market at the right time. Not sure if I'd read this one though. Will see what you think...
    Thanks for visiting my post - http://bookboodle.co.uk/2015/10/21/www-wednesday-october-21st/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure I'd read it either but it was in Tesco really cheap and I was just so curious! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Looking forward to hearing what you make of Carry On and Life and Death (which hasn't been received very kindly so far by Twilight fans!). I'm off to check out your review of A Madness so Discreet :-)
    Thanks for visiting my WWW - https://clairehuston.wordpress.com/2015/10/21/www-wednesday-21st-october-2015/
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited for Carry On because I have heard such great things! But Life and Death has already amused me because there is a preface in which she aplogises for writing it! Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed the Black Widow Forever Red. HOpe you do too! Great WOW pick, I love all the new coloring books!
    Check out my WOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying it so far! And I am looking forward to the Harry Potter coloring book as well! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  5. Dannggg Clare, you read fast! I wish I could read all that in one week. Walk the Earth a Stranger is near the top of my TBR! I just finished Slasher Girls and Monster Boys, I felt meh, about it. I loved some stories and skipped over others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished it today and I thought it was one of the better anthologies, there were a couple of stories I felt kind of meh about but I liked the majority of them and there were a couple I loved. Walk on Earth a Stranger was really good, I will have my review up for it tomorrow! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  6. It would be interesting to compare Wending Darling to Never, Never since they are coming out relatively close together. I hope you enjoy it! I have always loved Peter Pan. Happy reading!

    https://girlof1000wonders.wordpress.com/2015/10/21/www-wednesdays-october-21/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen Wendy Darling around although I don't actually have a copy but yeah it would be an interesting comparison I think! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  7. I want that Harry Potter coloring book so bad! I was in Books-A-Million today and I spent forever looking at the illustrated version that just came out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the illustrated version when it came out and I spend a stupid amount of time just staring at the pictures! It's so gorgeous! I have pre-ordered the HP coloring book but now I'm wondering if I should have ordered two so Ann can have one as well! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  8. I LOOOOOVE Little Women. It is one of my favorite books ever!!!!! How are you liking it? And oooh how exciting that there will be an HP coloring book- great pick for this week! :)

    My WoW- http://rachelwritesthings.blogspot.com/2015/10/waiting-on-wednesday-criminal-magic-by.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really enjoying Little Women it is so good! I really like the look of the colouring book! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete