Friday 9 October 2015

Friday Reads 9th October 2015

Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice, the idea is to grab a book, turn to page 56 (or 56% in an e-book) and find any sentence (no spoilers!) and then post it. Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are currently reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence and impressions about the book.

Ann:
The Hollow Boy (Lockwood & Co., #3)Little Women (Little Women, #1)
I have still to finish any books but I am hoping to finish Lockwood and Co by Saturday. I am currently reading Lockwood & Co The Hollow Boy and Little Women both of which I am loving.


Book Beginnings:
Texas Gothic (Goodnight Family #1)
I think I have already used both The Hollow Boy and Little Women in previous book beginnings, so instead I am using the book I plan to read next which is Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore
"The goat was in the tree again."

Friday 56:
The Hollow Boy (Lockwood & Co., #3)
"The truth was,or course, that Lockwood was far to busy to think about it all, and so nothing was ever likely to happen."
This quote is very nice because it describes Lockwood really well. He never has time for anything except destroying ghosts. 

Clare:
Washington SquareSlasher Girls & Monster BoysGrim Shadows (Roaring Twenties, #2)
I am not feeling very well at the moment, and I doubt I will be getting much reading done this weekend. I'd like to stay on track with Washington Square so I will continue reading a little of that every day. I will also be reading a story a day from Slasher Girls & Monster Boys, I have three days so I'll be reading the stories by Nova Ren Suma, Carrie Ryan and Cat Winters (which is the one I am most excited for)! I had intended to make a start on my review books for this month, but I really don't want to read them when I am too ill to really take them in and write coherent reviews so I will be postponing them until probably next week. In the meantime I will be reading what I hope are light and fun reads so I will start with Grim Shadows by Jenn Bennett! I found the first book really easy to read so hopefully that will be the same with the sequels!



Grim Shadows (Roaring Twenties, #2)
Book Beginning:
"Lowe Magnusson scanned the desolate Union Pacific Depot lobby. A young couple he recognised from the train was spending the brief early evening stop flipping through magazines at the newsstand. A handful of other travelers loitered on benches. No sign of the two thugs, but it was only a matter of time. Easier to kill him in the dark corner of a rural station than in the middle of a crowded smoking car."
What is it with romance novels and people with really odd names? Or is Lowe a really common name in America and I'm just missing it, being British? I cheated and chose a few beginning sentences just because the opening sentence alone isn't that exciting, it's only when you get to possible murder it becomes more interesting!  

Friday 56:
"The rope slipped through his gloves. The fan plummeted several yards, its shadow growing larger over Stella's tiny body."
Dun, dun, dun!! I haven't made it this far so I don't really know what's going on here. I hope poor Stella is OK! It definitely sounds very dramatic. 


You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading

28 comments:

  1. Both books sound good, but Texas Gothic really appeals to me. Maybe it's that goat in the tree!
    My Friday post features Seeing You Again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still don't know why the goat is in the tree but I am hoping to find out soon. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. Did I just read that the Goat is in the tree again? Ha! You gals read such interesting, varied books.

    My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really excited to read about the goat in the tree. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. I've seen my fair share of strange names but I've never met a Lowe .... and what is up with the goat?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping to find out soon as it is my next book to read. I can't wait to read it. From the blurb it sounds like I will enjoy it. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. Texas Gothic interests me the most. As well as Slasher Girls and Monster Boys. I really want my hands on that book.

    My Friday: Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Texas Gothic - it's one of those ridiculously under-appreciated books, I'm so glad Ann will be reading it! And I am so excited for Slasher Girls and Monster Boys, I've seen so many good things about it! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  5. These all sound good. Cracked me up about the goat!

    Here's mine - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/10/09/gotta-watch-out-for-those-wrong-turns-the-friday-56-81-intersections/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It cracked me up to. I really want to know why the goat was in the tree. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  6. I had to laugh about the goat in the tree....and in Grim Shadows, I also think that Lowe is an unusual first name.

    Enjoy! Here's mine: “THE LIARS’ CLUB”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in the middle of nowhere and everyone seems to have really common names (we had three Matt Smiths in our year at school) so I always wonder if the names are actually unusual or I'm just really sheltered! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  7. Ann, your BB had me laughing. Clare, Lowe is not a comment name here in the states. At least not here on the East Coast. I'd love for you both to check out mine...http://lisaksbookthoughts.blogspot.com/2015/10/its-cozy-food-friday-that-means-its.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was laughing when I read the BB too. I liked your blog, looks like your reading some very interesting books. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  8. Texas Gothic looks good to me.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should think about reading. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  9. Interesting, I like the sound of this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're both enjoying our reads! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  10. I like "Texas Gothic." It is funny about the goat in that tree. Like the other book also, destroying ghosts.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone seems to find the goat in the tree funny. I cannot wait to find out why it was in a tree! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  11. I like the sounds of Texas Gothic too! Happy weekend, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very excited to read it. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  12. You are both reading a real mix of books! And no, Clare, Lowe is not a common name -- I think it's a romance novel thing to have dramatic-sounding names. I call them "soap opera" names because they are a little over the top (and yes, I realize my own name may fall into the same category).

    Thanks for participating in BBOF! I don't often get around to everyone to leave a comment, but I am always happy when you share your book beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess at least with dramatic names they stick in your head! And there is no way of getting them mixed up with other characters.
      We really enjoy BBOF! I definitely love taking part! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  13. Texas gothic? Now that's a new one to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it in a bargain bookshop once purely by accident and ended up loving it! Definitely recommend it! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. I know Ann loves the series and I really need to read them! Thanks for visiting

      Delete