Sunday 4 October 2015

Sunday Post 4th October 2015

The Sunday Post STSmall_thumb[2]
The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted at Caffeinated Book Reviewer, it's a chance to post a recap on the past week, show the books we have received and share what we plan for the coming week. Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga's Reviews and Showcase Sunday is hosted by Books, Biscuits and Tea and the aim is to show our newest books and to see what everyone else received for review, borrowed from libraries, bought in bookshops or downloaded on to their e-reader. As always you can click on any of the pictures to be taken to the Goodreads page for that book if you're interested in finding out more about it.

Last Week on the Blog:
Reviews:

Books We Got This Week:
Ann:
The Hollow Boy (Lockwood & Co., #3)
The Hollow Boy by Jonathan Stroud: This is such an amazing series and I love this book. I will have a review for this soon but I definitely recommend this series.

Clare:
I have a lot this week so just bear with me!
Purchased:
Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)A Curious Beginning (Veronica Speedwell Mystery, #1)Bitter Spirits (Roaring Twenties, #1)Angel Dares (Benedicts, #5)Library of Souls (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #3)Everything, EverythingIn the Shadow of BlackbirdsThe Cure for Dreaming
Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo: It's here! I have already read this and my review will be up tomorrow!
A Curious Beginning by Deanna Raybourn: So, so good. I really loved the characters and the mystery, I believe this is a series and I am looking forward to whatever comes next!
Bitter Spirits by Jenn Bennett: This was a fun book, I will probably be continuing the series.
Angel Dares by Joss Stirling: I have already read this and you can see my comments in my Reading Update.
Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs: I'm so excited for this series. I am still waiting on my copy of 
Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon: Such a beautiful cover! I enjoyed this story, will have a full review up next week.
In the Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters: I have just started reading this and am really liking it so far, I love Cat Winters' writing.
The Cure For Dreaming by Cat Winters: Really excited to get into this one, the whole idea intrigues me a lot and the cover is gorgeous.

For Review:
Otto Von Trapezoid and the Empress of ThievesThe Deathsniffer's AssistantSharcano (Sharkpocalypse Trilogy, #1)Untaken
Tales From the Graveyard by Susan Shultz: I was approved to read this on Netgalley and it should make a great Halloween read! I am really excited for how many Halloween reads I have lined up!
Mind of the Phoenix by Jamie McLachlan: I received this through Netgalley, it has crazy high ratings on goodreads, the cover is gorgeous and I am very excited to read it!
Otto Von Trapezoid And The Empress of Thieves: I am participating in the Review Tour for this with Curiosity Quills Press and I am super excited. There is so much going on in the cover and I can't wait to get reading this. My review will be up on October 13th!
The Deathsniffer's Assistant by Kate McIntyre: Since I signed up to be a reviewer with Curiosity Quills they allowed me three books from their catalogue so I chose this and the next two on my list. I have heard a lot about The Deathsniffer's Assistant and I am definitely excited for it.
Sharcano by Jose Prendes: So, fun fact about me, I love, love, love those cheesy horror movies like Sharknado and Zombeavers etc. So I am really hoping this is like that in book form!
Untaken by J.E. Anckorn: I have heard some great things about this one so I am excited to get into it. I haven't read a lot of alien books but I have enjoyed those I've read so I have high hopes for this.

Reading Update:
Ann:
The Rest of Us Just Live Here
The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness: 5 stars. It was a great read and I recommend everyone read it! It was very funny in places and it was my favourite book of September. Clare has a full review of this up here!

Clare:
Prima DonnaSummer at Tiffany'sThe Summer Without YouSix of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)Angel Dares (Benedicts, #5)Bitter Spirits (Roaring Twenties, #1)A Curious Beginning (Veronica Speedwell Mystery, #1)Everything, Everything
Prima Donna by Karen Swan: 3.5 stars. I thought this was an interesting read and I liked the main characters, I have a full review up here if you're interested in reading it.
Summer at Tiffany's by Karen Swan: 4 stars. I definitely preferred Christmas at Tiffany's but it was nice to see a bit more of the characters - even if Cassie was acting consistently stupidly the whole way through.
The Summer Without You by Karen Swan: 4 stars. A really strong mystery although I would have liked a more exciting resolution - more action! The romance was OK but I am never comfortable with characters cheating or kind of cheating so I was a bit hesitant. 
Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo: 5 stars. Absolutely amazing, I have a full review up here! But I absolutely recommend this book, it may have been my favourite of the year so far!
Angel Dares by Joss Stirling: 3.5 stars. Not as good as the others in the series, the main characters annoyed me at times and their dialogue felt a little clunky in places but fun and there was some great action. I look forward to the next book.
Bitter Spirits by Jenn Bennett: 4 stars. I really enjoyed every word. I really liked the main characters and the mystery was very compelling. The romance was well done, not overtaking the story but it definitely enthralled me. Would have liked more ghosts though - it wasn't nearly as creepy as I would have liked. I will definitely be continuing the series.
A Curious Beginning by Deanna Raybourn: 4.5 stars. Very, very good. I loved the main characters and the mystery was compelling. I look forward to more and I will have a full review up on Thursday.
Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon: 3.5 stars. Enjoyable but I did have some problems with it - I will have a full review up on Friday.


Classics Update:
Little Women (Little Women, #1)Washington Square
Ann: I haven't made any more progress with Little Women yet although I do hope to next week.
Clare: I am currently on page 61 and am enjoying this so far.

Next Week on the Blog:
  • Top Ten Bookish Things I Want to Quit/Have Quit
  • Tuesday Teasers
  • Top 5 Graphic Novels
  • Wednesday Catch-Up
  • Friday Reads
Upcoming Reviews:

20 comments:

  1. Everyone seems to be excited for six of crows it's an author I haven't got to yet. Everything Everything I had a few issues with it as well. Have a great week

    Megan @ reading away the days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Six of Crows was amazing, I will say Shadow and Bone wasn't as good by her but SoC was definitely worth reading! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  2. I LOVED The Hollow Boy! It was so good.

    Have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving it! It has definitely got me out of my reading slump! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. I keep seeing Six of Crows everywhere! Hope you enjoy it and all your lovely books. Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Six of Crows was wonderful! I definitely recommend it! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  4. A curious Beginning looks good, and I have to say Sharcano looks pretty awesome too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Curious Beginning was really good and I am so looking forward to Sharcano! Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete
  5. Ha, I have got to see what Skarkano read like! If it is anything like the films well it will be cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I am not the only one who likes films like that! I have such high hopes for Sharcano! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  6. You guys got some amazing books this week. I got Mind of the Phoenix as well. I love the cover for Untaken very much. Awesome stack.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really excited to read both of them, Untaken especially! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  7. I thought I had read SUMMER AT TIFFANYS and that it was non-fiction. If I see a book with a name of a book I read then I generally assume it is that one. Also, I enjoyed BITTER SPIRITS too. I hope to read the rest of the series as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've ordered the sequels and they should be arriving this week so I will get to read them soon! I tend to do that as well with books with the same titles! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  8. Six of Crows! I cannot wait to start it, the black pages are an awesome touch. Everything Everything is also supposed to be fantastic

    My StS

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Six of Crows and I liked Everything Everything! I hope you enjoy them both! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  9. I've seen 'Everything Everything' in a few places so keen to read your full review when it's published.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be up on Friday, I did enjoy it but I wasn't as enthusiastic about it as I had expected to be! A case of building hopes too high I guess! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  10. The Cure for Dreaming is a really great read! Hope you enjoy. I'm currently reading In the Shadow of Blackbirds and loving it. I'm off to check out your Banned Books post! Glad to see you talked about banned books this week!
    Thanks for stopping by the The Local Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished In the Shadow of Blackbirds and I loved it! Just started The Cure for Dreaming and I do not doubt I will love it just as much, Cat Winters is so good! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete