Sunday 18 October 2015

Sunday Post 18th October 2015

The Sunday Post STSmall_thumb[2]
The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted at Caffeinated Book Reviewer, it's a chance to post a recap on the past week, show the books we have received and share what we plan for the coming week. Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga's Reviews and Showcase Sunday is hosted by Books, Biscuits and Tea and the aim is to show our newest books and to see what everyone else received for review, borrowed from libraries, bought in bookshops or downloaded on to their e-reader. As always you can click on any of the pictures to be taken to the Goodreads page for that book if you're interested in finding out more about it.

Last Week on the Blog:
Reviews:
Books We Got This Week:
Ann:
The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet
The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet by Bernie Su and Kate Rorick: I am currently reading this and I really love it. 

Clare:
Just For ChristmasMarried By ChristmasThe Night Before ChristmasOnly Ever Yours
Just for Christmas/Married by Christmas/The Night Before Christmas by Scarlett Bailey: I cheated on my "no buying books I won't read within a month" rule, obviously I wont be reading these until Christmas but they were such a good bargain and I won't be going out to the bargain shop I bought these at for at least a few months so I kinda had to!
Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill: I have had my eye on this for a while, it seems like a very controversial and interesting read.
Half-Blood (Covenant, #1)World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)End of Days (Penryn and the End of Days, #3)The Masked Truth
Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout: I loved her Lux series and this was really cheap! The girl at the check out said she had just finished reading it and loved it which is probably a good sign!
World After/ End of Days by Susan Ee: I read book 1 ages ago, I think back when it first came out, and I have it on kindle so I just needed these to complete the series. I remember Angelfall being very dark so these can fit my Halloween theme this month as well!
The Masked Truth by Kelley Armstrong: I recently read a thriller (Black Ice by Becca Fitzpatrick) that was rather less than thrilling. But I absolutely trust Kelley Armstrong so I have high hopes that this will be just as amazing and tense and thrilling as it sounds.
Death In KashmirDeath in ZanzibarDeath in the Andamans (Death In..., #6)Shadow of the Moon
Death in Kashmir by M.M. Kaye: I have already read this and really enjoyed it, I look forward to reading the rest of the series!
Death in Zanzibar & Death in the Andamans by M.M. Kaye: Because I enjoyed Death in Kashmir I really want to continue the series soon!
Shadow of the Moon by M.M. Kaye: I felt kind of mixed about Trade Winds by her and this is along the same lines. I think I'll like it.
Far PavilionsBlack Widow: Forever RedThe Immortal Heights (The Elemental Trilogy, #3)Life and Death: Twilight Reimagined
The Far Pavilions by M.M. Kaye: This is ridiculously long. Like 900 and something pages long. So it may take me a while, but I am determined to read this!
Black Widow Forever Red by Margaret Stohl: I really don't know what to expect from this but I am excited.
The Immortal Heights by Sherry Thomas: Really excited to read this series. I'm thinking I may have a fantasy month in November so this should be perfect.
Life and Death by Stephenie Meyer: I don't even know why. I just had to. Morbid curiosity brought me here and I will probably be reading this soon-ish.

Reading Update:
Ann:
The Hollow Boy (Lockwood & Co., #3)
The Hollow Boy: I have finally finished a book! I finished the hollow boy today and really enjoyed it. My review will be going up next Saturday if you want to find out more.

Clare:
You can click the images to go to the goodreads page for the book and click the titles to go to my review!
Mist of Midnight (Daughters of Hampshire, #1)Death In KashmirThe Hanged Man (Her Majesty's Psychic Service, #1)A Madness So Discreet
Mist of Midnight by Sandra Byrd: 2.5/5, for a gothic romance this was neither dark nor especially romantic which was a shame. I liked the setting but there was never any real tension about anyone's motives. I like unreliable heroine's and hero's who may or may not be evil and so this sounded like Rebecca and My Cousin Rachel in one book. Which I would have loved. But the Captain was bland and not threatening and this Rebecca was so good and sweet and forgiving that I never for a second doubted her. And they genuinely had no chemistry. 
Death in Kashmir by M.M. Kaye: 4 stars, reminded me a bit of Mary Stewart's books except this heroine acted in rather stupid ways at times. Great mystery which, though relatively easy to guess who the bad guys were, still kept me on the edge of my seat.
The Hanged Man by P.N. Elrod: 3.5 stars, a good alternate history. It was a little slow in places but I thought it was a good start to what should be a really fun series. I liked the romance but thought it could have been a bit more. 
A Madness So Discreet by Mindy McGinnis: 4 stars. Really interesting and I loved the main character. You can click the title to go to my review!
The Dead Girls of Hysteria HallThe Masked TruthThe Heartless City
The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall by Katie Alender: 3.5 stars, a little light and not very creepy at all but an interesting read and it got more emotional than I expected. Not sure how I feel about the ending.
The Masked Truth by Kelley Armstrong: 4.5 stars, I was so anxious the whole time I was reading this, which I think is rather the point of a thriller! Really, really good and I liked the mental illness perspective.
The Heartless City by Andrea Berthot: 4 stars, It was very atmospheric and I liked the characters but it was also kind of slow in places I thought and I found myself putting it down quite often. I will have a full review up next week.



Classics Update:
Little Women (Little Women, #1)The Pension Beaurepas
Ann: I have made some progress this month but have had a lot of homework to do so haven't made as much progress as I would have liked.
Clare: I have finished The Pension Beaurepas now and I will be reading A Bundle of Letters by Henry James next week.

Next Week on the Blog:
  • Top Ten Wishes I'd Ask the Book Genie to Grant Me
  • Top 5 Authors We Discovered This Year
  • Wednesday Catch-Up
  • Friday Reads
Upcoming Reviews:
  • These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly
  • The Heartless City by Andrea Berthot
  • Walk on Earth a Stranger by Rae Carson
  • The Hollow Boy by Jonathan Stroud

You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading

26 comments:

  1. Looks like a good week! I liked your review of Chess Queen Enigma- I enjoy those books also and am reading that one now. I agree about the love triangles- that part of the story is moving very slowly. I do like the atmosphere of these though- the whole steampunk London as presented is very cool.

    I'm looking forward to the Black Widow book, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think in the next book maybe the whole love interest thing will get more resolved! Hopefully. I do love the world she has created though!
      I will be reading Black Widow probably this week and will probably have a review up afterwards! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. Stacks of great reads there. I'm assuming the Secret Diaries of Lizzie Bennet is based on the Pride and Prejudice Elizabeth Bennett?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its based on the Youtube series The Lizzie Bennet Diaries which was based on Pride and Prejudice, its a modern take on it! I haven't read the book but I loved the youtube series! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  3. "Von Trapezoid", lol ! I have Half-blood and The end of days but haven't read them yet, I'm dying to get there ! Enjoy your week-end :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will probably be reading End of Days very soon but I'm not sure when I will read Half-Blood, I might see if I can get a hold of the rest of the series first and marathon them! Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete
  4. So much awesomeness. My sister has brought me the twilight book for my birthday. Susan Ee's series is one I have been wanting to check out for a while. Have a great week.

    Megan @ http://readingawaythedays.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not the biggest Twilight fan in the world (although I do enjoy them) but I have kind of a good feeling about this one! I am definitely excited to see what changes. I really liked Angelfall and I am excited to finish the series. Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  5. You have a great stack of books, and I admire that you can do all this reading while attending school! Enjoy...and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing a part time University course so I can usually balance reading for fun and reading for my course quite well! Poor Ann has to go to school all the time and I know she struggles to read as much as she would in the holidays. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  6. So many awesome books! I loved the End of Days! The Masker Truth is supposed to be amazing! I caved and bought Life and Death as well ;)

    My StS

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Masked Truth was brilliant! I really recommend it. I am so excited for End of Days. And curiosity has just got me so much with Life and Death! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  7. SO many pretty books. I'm reading Black Widow next. I'm excited. I've also heard nothing but good things for Only Ever Yours. Hope you love ALL your new lovelies. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will probably be reading it next as well! I am excited but also nervous because Black Widow is a character I already love! I have high hopes for Only Ever Yours but I think I need to be in the right mind set for it. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  8. Lots of great books! I pre-ordered Black Widow but haven't had a chance to get to it yet. I only bought Only Ever Yours a while ago too but again haven't gotten to it yet. I've been hearing lots of great things about A Madness so Discreet, so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it too.
    Thanks for stopping by the The Local Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did like A Madness so Discreet and I definitely recommend it! I am hoping to read Black Widow next so fingers crossed its good! I want to be in the right mood when I read Only Ever Yours because I really want to properly appreciate it. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  9. Lots of good books especially Susan Ee's , I need to finish the series but can't bring myself to read the last book, I don't want it to end. Quite fancy Black Widow too but waiting to see what everyone else thinks first!!!

    Have a good week!

    Heather | Random Redheaded Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually haven't heard anything about Black Widow so I'm really not sure what to expect! But at least I know that I will like World After and End of Days! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  10. Great haul! I bought Angelfall when it first came out and STILL haven't got around to reading it yet! I really should, so I can carry on with the rest of the series :)

    http://natalieslife.com/2015/10/stacking-the-shelves-181

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its one of those where I read the first book - loved it and then completely forgot to continue the series! I am very glad that I can now at least! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  11. Half-Blood is really good. So are the rest of the books in The Covenant series. I hope you like it. The spin-off series featuring Seth is even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you like it! Gives me faith, I loved the Lux series so I will probably be reading this soon! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  12. Black Widow looks and sounds amazing! I was going to buy it since it's very cheap on Amazon but I'm not sure about it yet. I'm glad you enjoyed A Madness So Discreet. I really really really want to read that one. Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked Black Widow although I didn't love it as much as I had been expecting to but I definitely would recommend it! And A Madness So Discreet was great, really, really recommend that one! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  13. Looks like someone is getting into the Christmas spirit!

    I still need to write my review for These Shallow Graves. I was really happy with it, I've heard a lot of great things about O'Donnolley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am one of those annoying people who starts Christmas in around September. I love Christmas!

      I look forward to reading your review for These Shallow Graves then! I have heard great things about her too and I definitely want to try more of her books!

      Delete