Wednesday 14 October 2015

Wednesday Catch-Up 14th October 2015

Every Wednesday we are linking up with WWW Wednesday, What Are You Reading Wednesday? and Waiting on Wednesday. WWW Wednesday is hosted at Taking on a World of Words and asks 3 questions: What are you currently reading?, What did you recently finish reading? What do you think you'll read next? This is a similar meme to This Week in Books, hosted at Lipsyy Lost & Found.
What Are You Reading Wednesday are hosted on It's a Reading Thing and asks;
1. What's the name of your current read?
2. Go to page 34 or 34% in your e-book and share one complete sentence.
3. Would you like to live in the world that exists within your book? Why or why not?
Waiting on Wednesday is hosted at Breaking the Spine and is a chance to show what upcoming releases you are excited for! Each week we will take it in turns to choose a book for Waiting on Wednesday and this week was Clare's turn!

Ann:
Currently Reading:
The Hollow Boy (Lockwood & Co., #3)The Secret Diary of Lizzie BennetLittle Women (Little Women, #1)
I am currently read The Hollow Boy and The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet as well as Little Women.
"I got my Charlotte back! I picked her up at the bus stop today." - The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet
I would love to live in this world because I love Charlotte and Lizzie's friendship its so close just like my with my best friend Kat. 

Recently Finished: 
I haven't finished any books since last week but I am hoping to have finished The Hollow Boy by tonight or tomorrow.

Planning on Reading Next: 
Texas Gothic (Goodnight Family #1)
I am planning on reading Texas Gothic next. I can't wait to read it!


Clare:
Currently Reading:
The Pension BeaurepasSlasher Girls & Monster BoysA Madness So Discreet
I am currently reading The Pension Beaurepas by Henry James which is a short story of his, I have only just started reading this but I hope I am going to enjoy it. I am on page 147 of Slasher Girls & Monster Boys and I am really enjoying it so far, there are some stories I have enjoyed more than others but I've liked most of them, I am reading a story a day and I will have a full review up once I have finished reading it. I have also just started A Madness So Discreet by Mindy McGinnis which I have been really looking forward to!
"Grace lay flat on the floor, all of her fire spent on the attack. Croomes didn't bother to help her to her feet, simply dragged her into the hall. Grace watched dispassionately as her toes trailed through her own blood and the sound of Mrs. Clay's crying dissolved in the dark." - A Madness So Discreet
This seems really intense. I haven't quite got this far yet but the descriptions of asylum life were what interested me in this book in the first place so I am definitely intrigued. I wouldn't want to live in the worlds of any of these books. The latter two because I don't fancy being murdered or harassed by the supernatural or locked up in an asylum and the Henry James just because I still kind of like modern technology!

Recently Finished:
The Chess Queen Enigma (Stoker & Holmes, #3)Washington SquareOtto Von Trapezoid and the Empress of ThievesGrim Shadows (Roaring Twenties, #2)Grave Phantoms (Roaring Twenties, #3)The Haunting of Maddy ClareAn Inquiry Into Love and DeathSilence for the DeadMist of Midnight (Daughters of Hampshire, #1)Death In KashmirThe Hanged Man (Her Majesty's Psychic Service, #1)
Last Wednesday I had just started The Chess Queen Enigma by Colleen Gleason which I have now finished, I will have a full review of this up tomorrow. I also finished my classic for the month Washington Square by Henry James which I really liked! I then moved on to Otto Von Trapezoid and the Empress of Thieves, my review of this is up here. I will have a joint review up on Friday for all the next books. Because I was feeling ill I really wanted something short and quick and so I read Grim Shadows and Grave Phantoms by Jenn Bennett which was definitely a great choice, they were very fun and fast moving reads. I then read The Haunting of Maddy Clare, An Inquiry into Love and Death and Silence for the Dead by Simone St. James all of which I read within 24 hours (I stayed up all night to finish the first two) because they were just so creepy and compelling! Mist of Midnight by Sandra Byrd rather let me down, it was meant to be gothic romance but I wasn't feeling the gothic or the romance and it just kind of dragged for me. Death in Kashmir by M.M. Kaye was a lot of fun and I definitely want to read the rest of the Death in... series. Finally I read The Hanged Man by P. N. Elrod which....

Planning to Read Next:
The Dead Girls of Hysteria HallThe Masked Truth
I am next planning to read The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall by Katie Alender which I am hoping will be creepy though not overly scary! I will then probably be reading The Masked Truth by Kelley Armstrong. After that I am not sure yet because I really would like to start reading my review books but we shall see.


Waiting on Wednesday:
Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices, #1)
Los Angeles. It’s been five years since the events of the Mortal Instruments when Nephilim stood poised on the brink of oblivion and Shadowhunter Emma Carstairs lost her parents. After the blood and violence she witnessed as a child, Emma has dedicated her life to to discovering exactly what it was that killed her parents and getting her revenge.
Raised in the Los Angeles Institute with the Blackthorn family, Emma is paired as a parabatai with her best friend, Julian Blackthorn. A series of murders in the city catch her attention — they seem to have the same characteristics as the deaths of her parents. Could the murderer be the same person? And her attention isn’t the only one caught: someone has been murdering Downworlders as well. The Fair Folk make a deal with the Institute: if the Blackthorns and Emma will investigate the killings, they’ll return Mark Blackthorn to his home. The catch: they have only two weeks to find the killers. Otherwise it’s open war between faeries and Nephilim.
The Shadowhunters of the Institute must race against time to catch the killers, even as they begin to suspect the involvement of those closest to them. At the same time, Emma is falling in love with the one person in the world she’s absolutely forbidden by Shadowhunter Law to love. Set against the glittering backdrop of present-day Los Angeles, Emma must learn to trust her head and her heart as she investigates a demonic plot that stretches from the warlock-run nightclubs of the Sunset Strip to the enchanted sea that pounds the beaches of Santa Monica.
 

Clare: I have ordered this for my birthday since it's released one week before (does anyone else buy themselves birthday presents or is this just me being weird?) and I am really looking forward to it. If Goodreads is to be believed it will be 786 pages long which frightens me a little but mostly - excited!


You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading

16 comments:

  1. I love the Lady Midnight cover. And I can't wait to read it. I hope we'll love it. Thanks for sharing, and happy Wednesday! :)
    Here's my WoW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a beautiful cover! I was never a huge fan of the MI covers but this one is great! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  2. I had no idea there was a Lizzie Bennett Diaries book! (Though I don't know why I am surprised). That line was great, I heard it in Lizzie's voice in my head. I'll have to track this one down.

    Here's my post for this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so excited when I found out there was a book! It is so good! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. I'm so keen to read A Madness so Discreet, I think that's one I'll be buying as soon as it's available! I'm glad you enjoyed Washington Square - I love this book.

    Here's my WWW Wednesday: https://rathertoofondofbooks.wordpress.com/2015/10/14/www-wednesday-14th-october/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed A Madness So Discreet, I've read a few negative reviews but in my opinion it was really good and I hope you like it as well! Washington Square was great! Really enjoyable, I read that it was Henry James's least favourite of his books which is so weird because it's probably one of my favourites of his! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  4. Wow! You've read so many good books recently...that are going on my TBR! One of my sixth graders read Little Women and was talking about it when we went to library last week. If a ten year old has read it, I need to get on it! Happy reading!

    https://girlof1000wonders.wordpress.com/2015/10/14/www-wednesdays-october-14/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely read Little Women it is such a great book. I can't believe a 10 year old has read it. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. Oh boy, the Lady Midnight cover is crazy beautiful! I bet it'll look even better on my book shelf :') Only a matter of time before we both get it! Hope we make it, haha. Here's my Wow!

    Lillie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely be finding a way to display the cover on my book shelf! March is closer than it feels! Just have to wait! Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete
  6. I can never get over how many books you get through in a week, Clare! That's great going! I'm planning a bit of a marathon this week, but getting through 4 books is probably my maximum :-)
    I've seen very divided opinions on A Madness So Discreet so I'd like to hear what you think when you've finished. Looking forward to the update next week!
    Thanks for visiting my post and happy reading :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy your marathon! I actually really liked A Madness So Discreet, I've seen mixed reviews as well and I think people got an idea in their head of what it was like and then they were disappointed! Thankfully I went in with no idea what I was getting and wound up pleasantly surprised! I will have a review up on Saturday. Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete
  7. I want to read Slasher girls and Monster boys. A madness so discreet is on my TBR too. And so excited for Lady Midnight. I have high expectations for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really enjoying Slasher Girls & Monster Boys so far, there is a great mix of stories. A Madness So Discreet was very enjoyable and I do recommend it. I feel like I've been waiting for Lady Midnight for so long and it's still 5 months away! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  8. I have been wanting to read Little Women for ages now... I can't believe I still haven't read it. And there are many new titles I will have to check out as well.

    Happy reading and thanks for visiting my WWW! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read it, it is great. Hope you find some new books to read. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete