Friday 16 October 2015

Friday Reads 16th October 2015

Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice, the idea is to grab a book, turn to page 56 (or 56% in an e-book) and find any sentence (no spoilers!) and then post it. Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are currently reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence and impressions about the book.

Ann:
The Secret Diary of Lizzie BennetLittle Women (Little Women, #1)
I am currently reading The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet which I am really enjoying. I can hear Lizzie saying it as I read it, it is amazing. I am also reading Little Women which I am also enjoying a lot, ever since starting this blog with Clare I have started enjoying and reading classics a lot more.
Book Beginnings:
The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet
"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife. My Mom gave me that quote on a T-Shirt."                                                                  
This one of my favourite book beginnings. Probably because it is from the book about one of my favourite YouTubers.
Friday 56:
"3 a.m. I can't sleep."
This probably describes me sometimes. Sometimes I wake up from nightmares and then end up sitting up for a bit because I can't sleep.

Clare:
Dead RingerThe Pension BeaurepasSlasher Girls & Monster Boys
I am just about to start reading Dead Ringer by Jessie Rosen which I received from Netgalley. I am also still reading The Pension Beaurepas by Henry James and Slasher Girls & Monster Boys both of which I am really enjoying. I've had a headache the past few days and haven't read much of SG & MB but this weekend I plan to read the stories by Megan Shepherd, Danielle Paige and April Genevieve Tucholke. If you've read those stories or any of the stories in the collection please let me know what you thought of them. I will be aiming to finish The Pension Beaurepas, it's only 60 pages long in total so I should definitely be able to do it and then next week I will probably move on to a different short story by Henry James, since I have a whole lot of them.

Book Beginnings:
Dead Ringer
"Deep breath, big smile, and remember; it's all about swagger."

I don't especially like the word swagger (it sounds slightly funny to me), the character herself even goes on to say it sounds so ridiculous but I like the mantra. Makes me think she is getting ready for something big.

Friday 56:
The Masked Truth
"Max slips to the door, lighting his way. He holds up his finger and I see his lips move, counting to five, then he cracks it open and waves at me, still crouched behind the mops. I steady myself and follow."

I really liked The Masked Truth. It was very intense and thrilling and I finished it in one sitting because I just could not stop before knowing what was going to happen! 


You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading

20 comments:

  1. Oh they ALL sound good! I absolutely love Lizzie Bennet but haven't gotten my hands on the book .... yet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great book. I can really imagine them all speaking. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. Definitely intrigued by The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet!

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should think of reading I am absolutely loving it. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. I haven't had a chance to start The Masked Truth yet. I can't wait. This week I am spotlighting a new book - Losers Take All by David Klass. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it, hope you enjoy it too! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  4. I love the beginning of The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet ...sounds like a book both my sister and I would enjoy! I will have to check out The Masked Truth ...Here's My Book Beginning & Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Secret Diaries of Lizzie Bennet and the YouTube series both start with the same quote I love it. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. I am all for thrillers and scary books....not horror, though. But sometimes I do take those on, too.

    I think I would prefer the Lizzie Bennet book today. LOL. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “WHO DO YOU LOVE?”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Lizzie Bennet book is awesome I love it. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  6. All of these books sound like stories I'd enjoy. I've been meaning to read the Lizzie Bennet book but haven't gotten around to it yet.
    My Friday post features The Beach Walkers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should think about reading it soon. I started reading it as soon as I got i and am loving it. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  7. The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet sounds wonderful. I really enjoyed the webseries, I probably should check out this book. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed the webseries and I am loving the book too. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  8. I'm either awake or my dog wakes me upin the wee hours. Sounds like I can relate to this character. All of your books look like my kind of reading!

    Here's my 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/10/16/the-friday-56-82-my-life-as-a-white-trash-zombie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should think about reading some of them. You can never have to many books o read. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  9. They both sound good! Please check out mine… http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsblog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were both very good. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  10. Lizzie Bennet sounds like a hoot. I like Kelley Armstrong too, a lot.
    Happy weekend ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lizzie Bennet is great I am really enjoying it! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete