Saturday 24 October 2015

Ann Reviews: The Hollow Boy by Jonathan Stroud

The Hollow Boy (Lockwood & Co., #3)Title: The Hollow Boy
Author: Jonathan Stroud
Series: Lightwood & Co #3
Pages: 385
Format: Paperback
Rating: 4/5
Blurb: As a supernatural outbreak baffles Scotland Yard and causes protests against the psychic agencies throughout London, Lockwood and Co. continue to demonstrate their effectiveness in exterminating spirits. Anthony is dashing, George insightful, and Lucy dynamic, while the skull in the jar utters sardonic advice from the sidelines. There is a new spirit of openness between the team now that Anthony has shared his childhood story, and Lucy is feeling more and more like her true home is at Portland Row. It comes as a great shock, then, when Lockwood and George introduce her to an annoyingly perky and hyper-efficient new assistant, Holly Munro. Meanwhile, there are reports of many new hauntings, including an old school where bloody handprints and a glowing boy are appearing. But ghosts seem to be the least of Lockwood and Co.'s concerns when a living assassin makes an attempt on Fittes's and Rotwell's lives. Can the team get past their interpersonal issues to save the day on all fronts? Danger abounds, tensions escalate, and new loyalties form in this third delightfully terrifying adventure.


“Under all the anger and the sorrow, Lucy, I was was just left feeling hollow.”

I really really liked the first two books in this series but I have to say it was a bit of a disappointment as it wasn't quite as good as as the first two books and the ending was a bit of a let down. It was however still a very good book, and I did enjoy it a lot.

There are lots of different characters in this book. You have George who is so cute. He does all the research and eats way to much cake and I couldn't help but love him. You then have Lockwood who is in charge and is so oblivious to life around him,when it isn't hunting ghosts, it is funny. Finally there is Lucy who is my favorite because she is so strong and she doesn't need help from the others because she can protect herself which I love!

The plot of this book was really good. I loved that they didn't just deal with one ghost but many and it wasn't very easy to figure out where they would take the story next. I found myself surprised by some of the things that happened. So the plot was amazing. I also love ghost books but I don't normally read them so this was an unusual read for me. Halloween is one of my favorite celebrations because I love going into shops and just spending hours in the Halloween area and this book had just the right amount of creepy ghosts and supernatural events. I don't really like scary things. I still have yet to watch the Jurassic Park films because I am so scared of dinosaurs!

I really like the world in the Lockwood & Co books because I love the fact that the children are the only ones with any talent for seeing ghosts. I really like this because it means that adults have to rely on the children for help because otherwise they will be ghost touched and die. I would love to live in a world where children are basically in charge!

Overall I enjoyed this book and would recommend you read it if, like me you really like reading about ghosts. I think that if you've read the other two books you should definitely read it although I warn you that, in my opinion, it was not as good as the first two.


You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading

No comments:

Post a Comment