Wednesday 1 March 2017

Wednesday Catch-Up 1st March 2017

Every Wednesday we are linking up with WWW Wednesday. WWW Wednesday is hosted at Taking on a World of Words and asks 3 questions: What are you currently reading?, What did you recently finish reading? What do you think you'll read next? You can click any of the images to go to the Goodreads page for that book!

Currently Reading:

The Edge of EverythingThe Ways of the WorldDisplaced
I am nearly finished with The Edge of Everything by Jeff Giles which I am really enjoying. I am buddy-reading this with Genni at Ready, Set, Read. I do think Jeff Giles could have been a bit bolder with X's character (I just prefer anti-heroes I guess) and the romance definitely borders on insta-love but there are superb mother figures which I love! I am also reading The Ways of the World by Robert Goddard which is set just after WW1 and is really interesting. It's a bit of a thriller and hasn't really got going yet (I am only a few chapters in) but it's going a good direction and I am confident I will enjoy it. I also really want to properly finished Displaced over the next week. It's set just after WW2 (apparently post-war is really interesting to me right now) and it's so good so far, I wasn't in the right mood when I started but I am definitely more into it now and excited to finish.

Recently Finished:

The Forbidden Wish (The Forbidden Wish, #1)After the Last DanceThe Lazarus VaultUndercover
It took me a long time to read The Forbidden Wish because I was just savouring the writing. It was so beautifully written and the characters felt very real and human (even the not-so-human Zahra). I did think the plot got a little messy/rushed towards the end but overall it left me with a smile on my face and I can't wait to read more by Jessica Khoury. After the Last Dance was not what I was expecting. Leo and Jane weren't initially the most likable characters in the world but by the end I was totally rooting for happiness and I almost, almost teared up a bit at last two chapters. The Lazarus Vault was pretty much what I expected. The story did drag a little in the middle but for the most part I enjoyed it. Undercover was hugely disappointing. I've never read anything by Danielle Steel before but I really expected better. The writing was bad, I didn't much care about the characters and the two MCs didn't even meet until over 200 pages in (to a 300 page book), so asking me to care about their romance was a stretch. 

Planning to Read Next:

A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1)A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic, #2)A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic #3)
I know what I am reading next (for a change) because I will be starting the Shades of Magic series by V.E. Schwab on Friday with Veronika at Regal Critiques. I've heard so many good things about this series and I love buddy reading so I am pretty excited! 


You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare), Facebook and Instagram to keep up with what we are reading.

6 comments:

  1. I like what I've read of Jessica Khoury's stuff too. Vitro I liked a lot and Kalahari was not bad. The Lazarus Vault looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've decided to get myself Vitro and Kalahari (and the other book in the trilogy whose name I've forgotten) for my birthday so I'll be able to read them soon!
      The Lazarus Vault was a good idea - I wasn't hugely impressed with the characters but still an interesting read!

      Delete
  2. Danielle Steele was one of the first popular author I read as a teenager - sorry to hear Undercover didn't impress you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Danielle Steel has been a disappointment to me over the years, too. I enjoyed her earlier work, when I was young...but her writing now seems repetitive and formulaic.

    I am curious about Displaced. Enjoy your week, and thanks for sharing. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have A Darker Shade of Magic on my shelf and have to get to it soon. My Twitter book challenge group will be doing a spring reading sprint to catch up on our reading in another month or so. Hopefully I will get to it then.
    Have a great week!
    Laura :)
    My WWW

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED The Forbidden Wish! I'm really hoping she writes a companion novel. One day, one day.

    ReplyDelete