Friday 3 March 2017

Friday Reads 3rd March 2017

Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice and Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader. The idea is to share a sentence or so from the first page and the 56th page of the book you are currently reading!

A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1)
Book Beginning:
"Kell wore a very peculiar coat."

Friday 56:
"The music box's song faltered and came to a stop, and Kell rewound it again, and closed his eyes, letting the Grey London melody and the Red London air drag him down to sleep."
I am finally, finally reading this! I am buddy reading the series with Veronika @ Regal Critiques and I am so excited for it! That first sentence is kinda famous and I knew it before I even started - I even got chills reading it which makes me feel like I will love this series. (The first time I got chills reading a first sentence was Harry Potter so it's a good sign). The 56 is actually from page 55 as page 56 is blank! But it's a great example of Schwab's writing which I have always enjoyed in the past. 


You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare), Facebook and Instagram to keep up with what we are reading.

22 comments:

  1. Buddy reading sounds like fun.

    I like the rhythm of the words. The author has an interesting voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only recently started buddy reading but I love doing it - really adds something to reading! Schwab has a very unique writing voice I think!

      Delete
  2. This is the first time I've seen this book but I love the cover and the premise of the story - sounds like it will be a good read and I love the idea of "buddy" reading. Here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard such amazing things about it! And I love these covers (the US ones are very different).

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you'll love this one, and I like the writing style. Today I'm sharing an oldie - 1984 by George Orwell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I might just have to read one of these books. This cover is not as creepy as some of them in the series (LOL).

    Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “A SEPARATION”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! The US covers are so different from the UK ones it makes them seem like completely different books! It's definitely not creepy (so far at least)!

      Delete
  5. I recently added this one to my stack but I haven't found a way to fit it onto my reading calendar yet. I hope to get to it soon. This week my YA choice is The Swan Riders by Erin Bow. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do get to read it soon - and enjoy it! The Swan Riders is one I am very interested in!

      Delete
  6. I need to read this series!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!

      Delete
  7. The first sentence and the book's cover both make me want to know more. I hope the whole books gives you chills!
    My Friday post features The Other Daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read A Darker Shade of Magic a while ago, and that opening sentence is one of the most memorable lines. I actually have the second book in the series but just haven't read it yet. Enjoy the book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to marathon the series! I hope you get to read the second book soon!

      Delete
  9. Looks interesting! Great cover!

    Thanks for posting on BBOF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great so far! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. I have seen this book everywhere it seems lately. As soon as I'm done reading the current series I'm working on I'm going to start this one! My Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The third book just came out so it feels like everyone is talking about it!! Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  11. I keep meaning to start this one. So many books......Sigh!

    My Friday 56 from Odds and Ends

    ReplyDelete