Sunday 26 February 2017

Sunday Post 26th February 2017

STSmall_thumb[2]
The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted at Caffeinated Book Reviewer, it's a chance to post a recap on the past week, show the books we have received and share what we plan for the coming week. Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga's Reviews and the aim is to show our newest books and to see what everyone else received for review, borrowed from libraries, bought in bookshops or downloaded on to their e-reader. As always you can click on any of the pictures to be taken to the Goodreads page for that book if you're interested in finding out more about it.

This week I discovered that my secondary Hogwarts house (which is apparently a thing) would be Hufflepuff. Which, considering my real house is Slytherin seems like it would be hard to manage? I guess I can be cunning but also super nice? 

I also watched The Rezort this week which I ended up really enjoying and I even wrote my very first movie review which I will be posting next week!! It wound up being very different to my book reviews - but I really enjoyed writing it! Hope you'll enjoy my review because I had a lot of thoughts!

Last Week on the Blog:


Books We Got This Week:

A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1)A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic, #2)A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic #3)Devil in Spring (The Ravenels, #3)
A Darker Shade of Magic/A Gathering of Shadows/A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab: ALL I ever hear about these books is how incredible they are so the time has come for me to read them! 
Devil in Spring by Lisa Kleypas: An auto-buy author. I've been eagerly anticipating this ever since Marrying Winterborne last year so I know I will be reading this soon!
The Wish Granter (Ravenspire, #2)The Dragon's Price (Transference, #1)The Valiant (The Valiant, #1)
The Wish Granter by C.J. Redwine: I loved The Shadow Queen, this sounds even better, I've never read a Rumpelstiltskin retelling (that I can remember) and just - I'm so excited!
The Dragon's Price by Bethany Wiggins: Dragons. I'm not sure I really need to say more but it sounds like this will have a strong female character and possibly a good romance? I'm hopeful.
The Valiant by Lesley Livingston: YES! Lesley Livingston is another auto-buy author for me but even if she wasn't - female gladiators would make this an insta-buy so...?
UndercoverThe Ways of the WorldThe Corners of the Globe (The Wide World - James Maxted, #2)The Ends of the Earth: (The Wide World - James Maxted 3)
Undercover by Danielle Steel: Total impulse buy because it was only £1. It just looks super fun and exciting and I know I'll fly through it when I get to it. Also - never read Danielle Steel before - how weird is that?
The Ways of the World/The Corners of the Globe/The Ends of the Earth by Robert Goddard: I've never read anything by Goddard before but I've been kind of in the mood for historical adventure books and this just really intrigued me so I was glad to grab these! 

Reading Update:

Ann:
Caraval (Caraval, #1)Vendetta (Blood for Blood, #1)Inferno (Blood for Blood, #2)Mafiosa (Blood for Blood, #3)
Caravel by Stephanie Garber: 4 stars, I really enjoyed this book although I did have a few issues with the ending because I thought that it was all solved perfectly at the end.
Vendetta, Inferno and Mafiosa by Catherin Doyle: 5 stars, I loved all of these books and the main character was amazing! I did find it very easy to figure out what was going to happen.

Clare:
Caraval (Caraval, #1)Freeks
Caraval by Stephanie Garber: 3.5 stars, I loved the world and the concept and even the characters but there were a few problematic things (especially towards the end) that dented my enjoyment a lot. 
Freeks by Amanda Hocking: 4 stars, I really, really enjoyed this. It was everything I could want in a "circus" book with supernatural elements and a frightening beast stalking them. I wish there had been less of the romance - whilst I liked it generally I wanted more focus on the action, especially towards the end. 

Next Week on the Blog:

  • Cover Characteristic: Cookie Jar
  • Movie Review: The Rezort
  • Wednesday Catch-Up
  • Clare's February Wrap Up and March TBR
  • Friday Reads
  • Classics Wrap Up: February
  • Ann's February Wrap Up and March TBR

You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading.

12 comments:

  1. I kinda like doing movie reviews, they're fun in a different way. :) I'm looking forward to The Valiant, and I agree with Clare on Freeks- I could have used a little more action towards the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - it was a great experience and I might do more of them in the future!

      Delete
  2. Awesome haul, Clare! And wow, those VE Schwab covers are amazing. I love them! And now, I know I need to have those on my shelves that's how pretty they are :D
    Enjoy your new books and have a wonderful week ahead.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those Schwab covers! They're the UK ones - the US ones look so different!
      Hope you have a wonderful week too :)

      Delete
  3. I am so curious about the Schwab books...I think the covers are weird, but in an interesting way.

    I read and enjoyed a couple of Lisa Kleypas's Friday Harbor books...I'll be checking out this one.

    Danielle Steel! Now that's a blast from the past. I used to read all of her books...and then they seemed like the same book over and over. But this one you got looks different. Enjoy!

    Thanks for sharing, and have a great week. Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started with Kleypas's historical fiction and only recently read one of her Friday Harbor books!
      Danielle Steel is one of those authors I swear everyone but me has read!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful haul! I hauled two V.E. Schwab books from the library this week - I hope I fall in love with them like most people have! XD

    Enjoy your new books! :)

    Kyra @ Blog of a Bookaholic
    My Book Haul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed every one of her books (that I've read) so far but these are the ones I am most excited for! Hope you enjoy yours!

      Delete
  5. The Valiant looks epic!
    Enjoy all your books :)
    My Book Haul

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I've heard such great things I really hope I love them! I'm sure I will. :)

      Delete