Sunday 19 February 2017

Sunday Post 19th February 2017

STSmall_thumb[2]
The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted at Caffeinated Book Reviewer, it's a chance to post a recap on the past week, show the books we have received and share what we plan for the coming week. Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga's Reviews and the aim is to show our newest books and to see what everyone else received for review, borrowed from libraries, bought in bookshops or downloaded on to their e-reader. As always you can click on any of the pictures to be taken to the Goodreads page for that book if you're interested in finding out more about it.

Last Week on the Blog:

Books We Got This Week:

Do you ever have one of those weeks where you're absolutely certain you won't get any new books and then - you get 10? Cause that was my week!
The Crime At Black Dudley (Albert Campion, #1)Look To The LadyJasmine NightsThe Ninth Rain (The Winnowing Flame Trilogy, #1)
The Crime at Black Dudley/Look to the Lady/Death of a Ghost by Margery Allingham: These were kind of an impulse! Another impossibly cheap charity buy (20p for all three books) and I do love classic crime. Not sure when I will actually get to these but I am excited anyway.
Jasmine Nights by Julia Gregson: This was free so I kinda had to get it right? It's such a pretty book but again - not sure when I will get to it. Hopefully soon! 
The Ninth Rain by Jen Williams: Huge thanks to the publisher, Headline for sending this to me! I am really excited to read it soon!
Caraval (Caraval, #1)Starfall (Starflight #2)Frostblood (Frostblood Saga, #1)Traitor to the Throne (Rebel of the Sands #2)Empress of a Thousand Skies
Caraval by Stephanie Garber: Yes, yes we do already have a copy of Caraval. But this is the special limited edition version of Caraval. So it's different. I did say I wanted to collect all the different covers. Well 2 down! Also this now means Ann and I can read it at the same time which will be fun!
Starfall by Melissa Landers: I loved Starflight last year and have been eagerly anticipating this so I can't wait to read it as soon as possible! 
Frost Blood by Elly Blake: I was on the fence about getting this but I read Brittany's review over at Brittany's Book Rambles and it just made it sound incredible! So now I am really looking forward to it!  
Traitor to the Throne by Alwyn Hamilton: Have I read Rebel of the Sands yet - no? But I want to! Plus this book is so big! And I love big books! I heard mixed things about the first book but everyone seems to be positive about the sequel so I will be reading them both soon!
Empress of a Thousand Skies by Rhoda Belleza: I am just so, so crazy excited for this one! It looks incredible and I will hopefully be starting it soon!


Reading Update:

Ann:
Unconventional

Unconventional by Maggie Harcourt: 4 stars, I really liked this story, I loved the fact that it wasn't insta-love, also the main character was amazing!

Clare:
UnconventionalInferno (Blood for Blood, #2)Mafiosa (Blood for Blood, #3)
Unconventional by Maggie Harcourt: 4 stars, Honestly just so much fun, the friendships are great and the romance was really sweet. Plus I really want to read Aidan's book. This book is perfect for anyone who likes conventions.
Inferno by Catherine Doyle: 4 stars, This was a re-read to refresh my memory before diving in to Mafiosa. This series is so dramatic and exciting - I'd forgotten just how much!
Mafiosa by Catherine Doyle: 4 stars, Really good ending to the series - I love the way this series went and I adored the characters (most of them) and hated the villains which is always fun. Can't wait to read more from Catherine Doyle.

Next Week on the Blog:

  • Cover Characteristic: Teapot
  • Top Ten Books I Loved Less Than I Thought I Would
  • Wednesday Catch-Up
  • Top 5 Books to Get You Out of Your Reading Slump
  • Fairy Loot Unboxing
  • Friday Reads
  • March Releases to Get Excited For!!

You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading.

18 comments:

  1. I feel like I should really read Unconventional. I wasn't into the blurb at first, but based on the reviews it sounds pretty fantastic. It wasn't overly drama-filled, right? I really hope you'll both enjoy Caraval! It was fun and unique in some aspects, despite the problems I had with it. I really enjoyed Mafiosa! Though I was expecting something better, tbh, simply because I felt like Inferno was better than Vendetta, so it was only logical to assume Mafiosa will follow in its footsteps. Anyhow, it was still good, so all's well.
    Glad you two had pretty great reading weeks!

    Veronika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was drawn in by the whole Convention idea and ended up really liking it! No not too much drama, mostly just convention stuff and a tiny bit of romance drama? Most of the focus seems to be on friendship honestly!
      I am looking forward to talking to you about Caraval once I finish it! I'm sure I'll have a lot of thoughts!!
      Mafiosa was good, not quite as good as Inferno maybe? But still pretty good!
      Thanks for visiting!!

      Delete
  2. 10 books? Awesome haul! I want Starfall really bad...

    Ooh fairy loot unboxing? I love seeing all the book subscription hauls...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really enjoying unboxing them! Fairy Loot are so great! I'm so excited to read Starfall - I loved the first book!

      Delete
  3. 10 new books, wow...! That's exciting and scary all at the same time! I only had 3 new arrivals last week I think. (Which is okay as I'm plodding along quite nicely with my TBR pile at the moment!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - thrilled to have them all but also how will I ever find time to read them all?? My TBR pile is now multiple different piles with different priority ratings, it's terrifyingly organised!

      Delete
  4. I love seeing unboxings. Unboxings are fun. Great haul of books. I see that we both got Empress of A Thousand Skies. Awesome haul of books this week.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hearing great things about Empress of a Thousand Skies so hopefully we will both love it!
      Unboxings are great - I love doing them and seeing them!

      Delete
  5. I really really want to read unconventional I have had my eye on it for a few weeks. I read and love vendetta I just need to get to the rest of the trilogy. Have a great week.

    Megan @reading away the days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Inferno and Mafiosa were even better than Vendetta - you should definitely pick them up! And Unconventional was so cute and fun!

      Delete
  6. I've heard lots of great things about Unconventional, really need to get my hands on a copy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was super fun and really sweet - loved the characters and the setting!

      Delete
  7. Unconventional looks like a book I would enjoy. Have a great week, and thanks for sharing. Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really fun read! Hope you have a great week too!

      Delete
  8. The unboxings are such fun. Makes me want to subscribe and do them too. Who doesn't love opening up a box of goodies! And you sure got some amazing reads this week too.

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I love seeing unboxings but can only afford one box a month! Fairy Loot are amazing though - never been disappointed by one of their boxes!

      Delete
  9. I haven't read much Margery Allingham, but I ought to give her books another go, since I'm such a fan of classic crime, especially when written by Queens of Crime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read anything by her - but I love the Queens of Crime too so I am looking forward to them!

      Delete