Saturday 18 February 2017

If You Like This...

I feel like I've been meaning to do this post for a while so I had quite a few ideas floating around in my head which is quite nice! Also - apologies for posting slightly late today! I overslept which I am actually pretty pleased with (I have insomnia so it doesn't happen a lot)!

WintersongWinterspell (Winterspell, #1)
If you like Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones try Winterspell by Claire LeGrand
I promise I'm not just going off them both having "winter" in the title. Wintersong was beautifully written and very captivating and at times it definitely reminded me of Winterspell. Winterspell is a Nutcracker retelling and I never see it getting the attention it deserves - so definitely pick it up if you enjoyed Wintersong!

Sweet Little Lies (Heartbreaker Bay, #1)Sweet Lake: A Novel (Sweet Lake, #1)
If you like Sweet Little Lies by Jill Shalvis try Sweet Lake by Christine Nolfi
OK so the word matching returns (I'm sorry) but also these are both great romances with interesting side characters, amazing depictions of friendship and a setting that feels thoroughly real. Sweet Lake is being released on the 28th February and I have a full review up for it here!

Romeo and JulietStill Star-Crossed
If you like Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare try Still Star-Crossed by Melinda Taub
Is it cheating to recommend a retelling of Romeo and Juliet? Technically speaking Still Star-Crossed is actually a sort-of sequel to Romeo and Juliet. Following characters from the play. It's also written in Shakespearean language which makes it feel even more authentic. It's one of the better Shakespeare re imaginings that I've read (and I've read a lot). Plus it's about to be turned in to a TV show so what better time to read it?

Starling (Starling, #1)Valkyrie Rising (Valkyrie, #1)
If you like Starling by Lesley Livingston try Valkyrie Rising by Ingrid Paulson
Also - if you like any of Lesley Livingston's books. Like the recently released The Valiant? I picked Starling because the mythology is closest to that in Valkyrie Rising but really any of them work. Valkyrie Rising has a strong female protagonist and interesting mythology and just writing about it makes me want to re-read it immediately so there's that!

Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1)Something Strange and Deadly (Something Strange and Deadly, #1)
If you like Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare try Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard
I mean actually just try SSaD because I love it a lot. It's a very unique and engaging story with necromancy and romance and inventions and I just think it deserves all the love and doesn't get enough of it. Plus the covers are gorgeous so they'll look great on your shelves?

That was fun and I actually have a few more ideas in my head for recommendations so I may do another one of these in the future! Let me know what you think!

You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment