Friday 17 February 2017

Friday Reads 17th February 2017

Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice and Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader. The idea is to share a sentence or so from the first page and the 56th page of the book you are currently reading!

A Perilous Undertaking (Veronica Speedwell, #2)Displaced
Book Beginning:
""For the love of all that is holy, Veronica, the object is to maim or kill, not tickle," Stoker informed me, clipping the words sharply as he handed me a knife." - A Perilous Undertaking by Deanna Raybourn
Friday 56:
"You are only free when you have nothing left to lose. But as one who has witnessed many things, let me tell you this: sometimes it's better to leave things alone. What's done is done. We have to look forward, and there's no going back. Ever." - Displaced by Stephan Abarbanell
I received Displaced for review and I am hoping to have my review up in March. At the moment it's taking me a while to read - there are places where the translation seems to have lost something and it means I have to really concentrate on what I'm reading and sometimes go back and re-read bits. It's worth it - the story is good so far and I am intrigued by the mystery - but I have decided to read other books at the same time just so that I feel like I am actually completing something! 
So the second book I am reading is A Perilous Undertaking by Deanna Raybourn. Raybourn writes some of my favourite historical mysteries - and this is the second book in the Veronica Speedwell series. I greatly enjoyed the first one so I have pretty high hopes for this! Also - that's on heck of an opening sentence!

My review of last week's Friday Read - Sweet Lake by Christine Nolfi - is now up and you can check it out here.

You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading 

28 comments:

  1. This looks like an interesting and worthwhile read. Well done for carrying on. I love the quote in the F56. Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend. My Friday Book is Cartes Postales from Greece by Victoria Hislop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think its definitely worth sticking with! I am learning a lot and the characters are really interesting!

      Delete
  2. I think I should try the Veronica Speedwell books! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should - I can't tell yet whether I like them as much as her Julia Grey books but its definitely close!

      Delete
  3. A Perilous Undertaking sounds like a book I would enjoy. Thanks for mentioning it. Enjoy your current read! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raybourn writes really fun and enjoyable stories! She is a favourite author of mine for sure!

      Delete
  4. I keep hearing really good things about the Raybourn book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard good things about the Raybourn series too. I will definitely look into purchasing these for my library and probably will read them myself. I love a good historical mystery. the cover is really appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore the Raybourn books and I've seen so many covers. I like this one because of the turtle on the front - who does play an important role in the book from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear the turtle is important and can't wait to find out how!!

      Delete
  7. Displaced sounds interesting and loved the opening lines. They really ring true today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been noticing the Deanna Raybourn book everywhere. Thanks for sharing. Displaced looks fascinating, too.

    Here's mine: “RIGHT BEHIND YOU”


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Displaced is good so far! And Raybourn is one of my favourite writers so I highly recommend her!

      Delete
  9. Th book beginning is funny, and the 56 is very true!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed A Perilous Undertaking but haven't heard of the other book. Today I have Echoes in Death by J. D. Robb. I love Eve and Roarke. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Displaced doesn't have many reviews on Goodreads, it seems pretty unknown which is a shame because I like it! A Perilous Undertaking seems like it will be a lot of fun!

      Delete
  11. I like the sounds of both, but I'd pick up A Perilous Undertaking first, I think. :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely seems to be the one most are drawn to! It looks so fun!

      Delete
  12. They both sound like interesting reads, though I find the first the most appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely an easier read but yeah, both interesting!

      Delete
  13. I've had to struggle with some translated books.I was glad I kept going. These books both sound good.

    My Friday 56 from The Blood Gospel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my thinking! I know it will be worth it so I am definitely gonna keep going!

      Delete
  14. The Perilous Undertaking has a great opening line! Sounds like a good one.

    -Lauren
    www.letsgetbeyondtolerance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete