Sunday 8 January 2017

Sunday Post 8th January 2017

STSmall_thumb[2]
The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted at Caffeinated Book Reviewer, it's a chance to post a recap on the past week, show the books we have received and share what we plan for the coming week. Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga's Reviews and the aim is to show our newest books and to see what everyone else received for review, borrowed from libraries, bought in bookshops or downloaded on to their e-reader. As always you can click on any of the pictures to be taken to the Goodreads page for that book if you're interested in finding out more about it.

Last Week on the Blog:

Books We Got This Week:

Mafiosa (Blood for Blood, #3)The Girl on the Train
Mafiosa by Catherine Doyle: I really enjoyed the first two books in this series and I am looking forward to reading this final book in the series! Catherine Doyle is a writer I look forward to seeing more from!
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins: Someone at work gave this to my Mum and, as she isn't hugely into thrillers, she passed it on to me! I'll admit I don't read a lot of thrillers either but it is a genre I am trying to read more of and I've heard some good, and some not-so-good things about this which intrigues me. It also hasn't been spoiled for me yet (unlike Gone Girl) so I would like to read it soon!

Reading Update:

Ann:
The Creeping Shadow (Lockwood & Co. #4)Game of Fear
Lockwood and Co: The Creeping Shadow by Jonathon Stroud: 5 stars, this is the fourth book in the Lockwood and Co series and it was just as amazing as the other three books. I cannot wait to read the fifth book when it is realised.
Game of Fear by Glede Browne Kabongo: 4 stars, I really enjoyed this book and I loved the plot, however some of the characters were annoying and the main character did some really stupid things that annoyed me too. However overall it was a great read.

Clare:
An Inquiry Into Love and DeathSilence for the DeadThe Other Side of Midnight
An Inquiry Into Love and Death/Silence for the Dead/The Other Side of Midnight by Simone St. James: 4.5 stars, These were all re-reads. I adore Simone St. James's writing and characters so this was a really great note to start 2016 on! 
The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)The Viscount and the Vixen (Hellions of Havisham, #3)The Art of Sinning (Sinful Suitors, #1)
The Trouble with Dukes by Grace Burrowes: 4 stars, The characters felt really real and were sweet and I enjoyed the romance a lot. I would say the plot, though not boring, was ultimately a little forgettable and never as worrying as it meant to be.
The Viscount and the Vixen by Lorraine Heath: 3 stars, The characters weren't quite as likable although they did grow on me. I believed in the romance but I wasn't as absorbed as I wanted to be. It was a quick, fun read but I don't think I'll be rushing to pick up the rest of the series.
The Art of Sinning by Sabrina Jeffries: 4 stars, Always a favourite author of mine. An intriguing plot, some great characters and a believable and compelling romance. 


Next Week on the Blog:

  • Bout of Books 18 Wrap Up
  • Top Ten 2016 Releases I Haven't Read Yet (But Want To)
  • Wednesday Catch-Up
  • Clare Reviews: Game of Fear by Glede Browne Kabongo
  • Friday Reads

You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading

24 comments:

  1. I can't wait to finally get my hands on Mafiosa - the first two books were so enjoyable & different from my usual reads, so I can't wait to see how Sophie's journey will end. Plus, I need more Luca *heart eyes* I enjoyed The Girl on the Train, but I was also very disappointed, simply because I went into it expecting something spectacular like Gone Girl - sorry it was spoiled for you! - and it was totally different in many aspects + not nearly as unique, mysterious and well-written.

    First time I'm hearing of Game of Fear, but I'm intrigued! The blurb definitely caught my attention, so I'm looking forward to read your review.

    Glad you guys discovered some pretty good books in the past week!

    Veronika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had it pre-ordered ever since I finished the second one! And I adore Luca! I think I'll genuinely miss him once the series is over!
      Gone Girl had such a great twist - I'd love to read it sometime I just struggle to find the motivation without the suspense. The same thing happened to me with Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier and it just takes all the excitement out of the read! It's a shame The Girl on the Train isn't as good.
      I got a copy of Game of Fear from the author and it was definitely an exciting read - a little bit Pretty Little Liars at times!

      Delete
  2. Good luck with Girl on the Train! I hope you like it. Game of Fear looks fun although yeah, annoying characters can be a pain. :) And those st. James covers are nice, very atmospheric.

    Happy Sunday and have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy Game Of Fear but those annoying characters were just really frustrating, it was a good book overall though. Have a great week!

      Delete
  3. You got such an interesting variety of books! I've been curious about The Girl on the Train but I haven't read it. I've read a few of Sabrina Jeffries' books though - they're usually hit-or-miss, but I love historical romance so I never stop trying. :D I hope you enjoy all of your new books!

    Have a fabulous week, ladies. :)

    Check out my STS post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a couple of her books that were a miss for me but on the whole I still get excited about her books!
      Hope you have a great week :)

      Delete
  4. Wow! That's a lot of great books you go there!

    Here’s my Sunday Post!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog and join in this week’s Book Photo Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to finish Catherine Doyle's series I loved the first book and own the second I just don't know why I haven't finished it LOL. Have a great week

    Megan @reading away the days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great series! Very unique I think - hope you get to finish it soon!

      Delete
  6. I wasn't a fan of The Girl on the Train but I am hoping to get to those Lockwood & Co. books sooner or later! Have a great week! :)

    Stacy Renee @ Lazy Day Literature

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame - I hope I enjoy it more! And Ann has nothing but good to say about those Lockwood & Co books so I feel like I should read them at some point too! Have a great week!

      Delete
  7. So many fantastic books here! I love Sabrina Jeffries and I adored the first Lockwood and Co book and desperately need to get back to them. The Simone St. James covers are gorgeous! I want to read them based on that alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely read them! They are such great books - definitely live up to the promise of the covers!

      Delete
  8. The Girl on the Train has been hugely popular - as a book. I'm not sure the movie did so well. I didn't love it as much as some, but it's a good psychological thriller if you're not a big reader of the genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I've definitely heard more negative things about the movie than the book - I think they changed some things? I don't read a lot of thrillers so I am hoping I will enjoy it!

      Delete
  9. I hope you're enjoying the Girl on the Train. I didn't like it as much as I hoped I would. But it's a good thriller. Love the covers you posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those books that seems to have been overhyped to the point where it inevitably disappoints which is a shame!

      Delete
  10. I have heard really good things about The Girl on the Train. Happy reading!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping to enjoy it! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  11. I hope you enjoy your new books! So many people love The Girl on the Train.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I'm curious about Mafiosa! My library doesn't have them but I'm going to request them because they sound like something I'd enjoy.

    I hope you enjoy all your new books and that you have a wonderful week!

    Tina @ As Told By Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are good books - such a unique series in my opinion! Hope you have a wonderful week too!

      Delete