Saturday 21 January 2017

Ann Reviews: The Creeping Shadow by Jonathon Stroud

The Creeping Shadow (Lockwood & Co. #4)
Title: The Creeping Shadow
Author: Jonathan Stroud
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased
Pages: 529
Rating: 5/5
Blurb: Lucy has left Lockwood & Co. A freelance operative, she is hiring herself out to other agencies – agencies that might value her ever-improving skills.

But now Lockwood needs her help.
Penelope Fittes, leader of the well-renowned Fittes Agency wants Lockwood & Co. – and only them – to locate and remove the ‘Source’ for the legendary Brixton Cannibal.
It’s a tough assignment. Made worse by the tensions between Lucy and the other agents – even the skull is treating her like a jilted lover!
What will it take to reunite the team? Black marketeers, an informant ghost, a Spirit Cape that transports the wearer, and mysteries involving their closest rivals may just do the trick.

But not all is at it seems. And it’s not long before a shocking revelation rocks Lockwood & Co. to its very core . . .

This is the fourth book in the series and I was really hoping that it would be as amazing as the others and I did really enjoy it! The Lockwood and Co series is one of the only ghost books that I have read and it makes me want to read more books like it.

I think that my favourite character in this book was Lucy but I also love Lockwood because he is so much fun. I love Lucy as a character because she was so strong and independent at the beginning! I do however wish that there was more of a relationship between her and Lockwood because they would make an incredible couple and I can see hints of a developing relationship between them, I just wish there was more of it. Another thing that I really hope will be in the next book is more of a background into the ghost skull because I would love to find out more about him and what happened to him. I also loved all of the other characters because they were so different and everyone had something unique that they contributed to the team and the story which I thought was brilliant!

I loved the fact that within one big plot there were lots of different parts, they solved many different ghost problems while also dealing with the main plot which I thought was done excellently. My favourite of all the ghosts that they had to deal with was the Brixton Cannibal because it was given such great backstory and was so creepy and twisted that it made me love the book even more than I did. I really liked the fact that most of the ghosts that they dealt with were all given stories about how they died and their lives before which made them seem more realistic and also made them very easy to imagine while reading!

I have always thought that when it comes to ghost stories the setting is really important, if you don't describe the setting in a creepy way then it detracts from the impact of the story. This is one thing that was done really well in this book because I found it really easy to picture every setting but also they all sounded very dark and sinister that it improved the spooky atmosphere that came with the ghost stories. I loved all the settings in The Creeping Shadows.

Overall I think that you should definitely read this book if you have read the other books before or if you, like me, love to read ghost books you should think about reading the whole series because it is one of my favourites! I can't wait to read the next book soon!

You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment