Tuesday 16 May 2017

Top Ten of Our Mum's Favourite Books!!

Happy Mothers Day!! In honor of Mother's Day we asked our Mum if she would like to make a list of her ten favourite books for us to post for Top Ten Tuesday! So here are her answers! Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and you can find all past and future topics here.

1. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Hobbit
This was my introduction to the escape of fantasy. A world better and yet more challenging than our own. A world of possibility and overt danger. Our Year 3 primary school teacher read this to us every Friday afternoon a chapter at a time. Still love it.

2. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Lord of the Rings (The Lord of the Rings, #1-3)
Having acquired my own copy of The Hobbit, I used to bike to Sarehole Mill to sit and read under a tree Tolkien would have known! I then borrowed The Lord of the Rings from the library. It was a bit of a battle to get as the librarian didn't think I was old enough to manage it. But I fell in love with Middle Earth and I still want to be an elf! I attempted the Silmarillion aged 10 but had to admit defeat there, and didn't read it again until my 40s when it finally made sense.

3. Gobbolino The Witches Cat by Ursula Moray Williams
Gobbolino The Witch's Cat (Young Puffin Modern Classics)
About a lucky little cat who gets to cheat destiny thanks to his loving sister.

4. Magyk by Angie Sage
Magyk (Septimus Heap, #1)
Again a fantasy world I love! I read this first as I had a policy of checking books before allowing my children to read anything new (a policy I started with Harry Potter which negative reviews had made me concerned about but found they were brilliant and passed them on). So many brilliant characters in the Magyk series! I love YA Fantasy worlds.

5. The Eragon series by Christopher Paolini
Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1)
You just cant have one without the others. So, so brilliant. I want to be a Dragon and an Elf.

6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
Meditations
The person in history I would most like to meet and spend a day with. Although I'd probably never leave!

7. Biggles and Co. by W.E. Johns
Biggles: The Camels Are Coming
Difficult to pick a favourite from the series as I've read them all (I think). I wanted to be Ginger but I adored Algy, like most fans apparently.  Biggles Special Flying Detective Squad was my idea of the perfect job. How disappointing it was to find the Squad never existed! Looking back at them now I can see a lot of problematic elements (eg. racism).

8. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
Northanger Abbey
My go-to book when I was sad and wanted to believe the foolish/naive could have a happy ending.

9. The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield
The Celestine Prophecy (Celestine Prophecy, #1)
One in a series of four books that challenged me. 

10. Zoo Quest to Madagascar by David Attenborough
Zoo Quest to Madagascar
The first David Attenborough book I ever read and still my favourite. His ability to write and embroider a world inside my head in exquisite detail is matched only by the ability of his voice to do the same. 

You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare), Facebook and Instagram to keep up with what we are reading.

11 comments:

  1. What a great idea for a topic. It's clear you guys inherited your mom's love of reading. Wonderful books here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you've got a cool mom if she likes these kinds of books. :) And how cool would it be to sit under a tree Tolkien might have known?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you actually asked your mum what books she'd choose. Nice choices, I love anything by Jane Austen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea! Wish my mom loves books too but sadly she doesn't xD I love Northanger Abbey, it's such a great story!

    Tiffany @ The Bookish Thought

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea, I almost wish I stole it for my TTT. Your mum has certainly read some interesting books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your mum's choices! Gobbolino was one of my favourites as a kid :)

    My TTT: http://whenitdoes.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/top-ten-tuesday-memorable-mothers-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting, eclectic list! I agree on Northanger Abbey. Now I must go find Gobbolino...never heard of it before--thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, I love that you got your mom involved! And I love that your mom has such great taste :p

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that you got your mum to do the list this week!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/05/16/top-ten-tuesday-107/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like she has great taste! :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your mom has some pretty varied tastes! Mine only ever read Harlequin novels. :)

    Here is my TTT. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete