Tuesday 1 September 2015

Top Ten Characters You Just Didn't Click With

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. I (Clare) actually really struggled with this one. Characters are my main thing when reading, I can take a dodgy plot if I like the characters but I can't do the reverse. So if I don't click with a character, I tend to put the book aside and never finish it. Which means I tend to forget they ever existed. 

1) Lara Jean in To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
Clare: I feel like this was the one thing that I really didn't enjoy about this series. I loved Peter (for the most part) and Lara Jean's little sister was wonderful (her big sister I had problems with). But although I didn't hate Lara Jean, I never really liked her either.

2) Mal in Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
Clare: I love the Darkling. He was such an interesting character, so well written, kinda sympathetic despite all the awful things he did. I'm a sucker for villains. But Mal.... he was so, so meh. I can't remember any of the descriptions of him. He just bored and annoyed me somehow. And maybe that's just my Darkling love coming out but, god he was so boring.
Ann: I didn't really like any of the love interest in Shadow and Bone they were all kinda boring especially Mal. 

3) Bella from Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
Clare: I heard someone say once, that one of the biggest problems with Twilight is that the side characters are actually kinda interesting, but their stories get drowned out by Bella and Edward. And I agree with that. Bella is so annoying to me, she is whiny and ugh. If you like Bella, you'll disagree with every bad point I could make and if, like me, you really dislike her, you'll already know why she is annoying. So I'll just leave it there.

4) Lena from Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Clare: Ann may kill me for this one because she loves this series. And I liked the premise, and I liked Alex, but I feel nothing for Lena. Nothing. Which means, although I have the sequels and I think I will read them, they are really not a priority.

5) Ever from Evermore by Alyson Noel
Clare: I own the whole series (an impulsive charity shop buy) but I have only read the first book. So maybe she improves. I don't know. I just felt all her priorities were so twisted around and she made such annoyingly bad decisions that by the end of the book I really didn't care what happened to her.

6) Todd from The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
Ann: I have only just started reading The Knife of Never Letting Go but so far I just don't really like him very much. 

7) Lena from Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margret Stohl 
Ann: I just didn't really click with her but I loved her cousin Ridley. 

8) Gale from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Ann: I loved Peeta so much that I didn't really pay any attention to Gale so never really liked him.

9) Mrs Lynde from Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery
Ann: I never really liked Mrs Lynde because of the first time she met Anne and was very mean to her and because I love Anne straight away I dislike Mrs Lynde and never really clicked with her at all.

10) Thomas from The Maze Runner by James Dashner
Ann: I didn't really like Thomas and I prefered Teresa so I never really clicked with Thomas. 
Clare: See I actually really didn't like Teresa, I kind of liked Thomas in a vague way but probably this applies to me too.

6 comments:

  1. Loving your Bella comments and yes, I totally understand. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you understand! She just annoys me so much! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  2. I have Bella on My TTT as well and I'm surprised at how many people have included her. I thought I would be in the minority!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was completely prepared to rant about her character but was certain I'd get opposition! I'm surprised by how many people picked her as well! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  3. I had Thomas on my list this week too and although Gale wasn't on my list this week, I never really liked him either.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/09/01/top-ten-tuesday-20/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Gale. I was always a Peeta girl but I feel kinda sorry for Gale! Thanks for visiting

      Delete