Tuesday 9 August 2016

Top Ten Villains

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish. You can check out this week's topic here and for a list of future topics head here. I chose villains as my rewind topic because I, like most readers, love a good villain. Whether its a complex, grey area villain you find yourself identifying with or an all out shivers up your spine villain - they are always the most fun to read about. It was tough to limit myself to ten and I am sure that there are a ton of great villains that I've missed out. But these are ten of my favourites.

1) Voldemort
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
This was almost a given from the start. I don't like Voldemort but as a villain he is superb. Sinister and powerful, but with an almost sympathetic backstory. 

2) Sebastian
City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6)
Sebastian is more Ann's favourite than mine but he did leap to mind at this topic. Again, I can't like him exactly but he is quite charismatic and compelling.

3) President Snow
Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)
Oh boy do I hate President Snow but he is a brilliantly crafted villain. Suzanna Collins writes such excellent characters.

4) Warner
Ignite Me (Shatter Me, #3)
I hesitated over this one because - does he really count as a villain? I would probably put him down as more morally abiguous (my favourite type of character). I actually do like Warner. I hated him in the first book, liked him in the second and by the end of the third he had become one of my all time favourite characters. I would love to re-read the first book someday to see if my perception changes.

5) Manon (Throne of Glass)
Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4)
Manon has just been getting more and more interesting. She is definitely a villain but she is the kind of villain that you almost find yourself rooting for - which just shows how well Sarah J. Maas has written her. I am looking forward to seeing her interact with Celaena more.

6) Bellatrix Lestrange
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
Another fairly obvious one. Bellatrix was crazy and evil and whilst I am sure we all rejoiced over her end - she was a lot of fun to read about!

7) The Darkling
Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1)
The poor Darkling. This is a perfect example of villains being more compelling than heroes. Because I don't actually remember much about the actual love interest (even his name) but the Darkling stays with me. 

8) The Queen of Hearts
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, #1)
Alice in Wonderland was the first book I ever read. Which means the Queen of Hearts was my first ever villain. She makes it on the list for nostalgia alone but she is also such an excellent crazy villain.

9) Ridley
Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)
Ridley's character grew a lot and she even got her own spin-off series. So again I am not sure how much she really counts as a villain. But evil Ridley was a lot of fun and one of the better parts of an otherwise quite lackluster series.

10) Queen Levana
Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4)
Queen Levana was pure evil. When she got her own novella I was expecting some sort of explanatory back story - but for the most part, despite one incident in her past, she was just plain evil. 

You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading

4 comments:

  1. President Snow was a big bastard! I can't believe people like him really exist! Great Top Ten! :D My Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Such a terrible person- which makes him a great villain!

      Delete
  2. I love Manon! A villain but not a big bad like Voldemort, I can't wait to hopefully see her and Celaena interact more in EOS after QOS.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/08/10/top-ten-tuesday-69/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she will become a great morally grey character and I love those!

      Delete