Sunday 13 November 2016

Sunday Post 13th November 2016

STSmall_thumb[2]
The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted at Caffeinated Book Reviewer, it's a chance to post a recap on the past week, show the books we have received and share what we plan for the coming week. Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga's Reviews and the aim is to show our newest books and to see what everyone else received for review, borrowed from libraries, bought in bookshops or downloaded on to their e-reader. As always you can click on any of the pictures to be taken to the Goodreads page for that book if you're interested in finding out more about it.

Last Week on the Blog:


Books We Got This Week:

An Illustrated History of Notable Shadowhunters and Denizens of DownworldThe ChemistSomeone to Love (Westcott, #1)
An Illustrated History of Notable Shadowhunters and Denizens of Downworld by Cassandra Clare, Illustrated by Cassandra Jean: So apparently I will continue to buy any book relating to the Shadowhunter world because I have zero self control. In my defense the illustrations are really nice and I do feel like this will be a nice point of reference when reading her new series'.
The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer: I was always going to be getting this - Twilight definitely isn't perfect but it is the first YA book I ever read and I am interested to see how she does with non-YA fiction. I am actually currently reading this and mostly enjoying it so far. I may do a review when I am done so let me know if you would be interested in that?
Someone to Love by Mary Balogh: I generally enjoy Mary Balogh's books. She isn't my favourite regency romance author but this new release really intrigued me so I picked it up.

Reading Update:

Clare:
A Study in Scarlet Women (Lady Sherlock, #1)Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #1)
A Study in Scarlet Women by Sherry Thomas: 4 stars, There was a little less mystery than I had been anticipating. A lot of this was setting up Charlotte's circumstances and introducing all of the characters. There were also a couple of side mysteries to show off Charlotte's skills and then when the big reveal came I liked it. Overall I really enjoyed it but I am hoping for more mystery and action in the rest of the series.
Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco: 4.5 stars, This was a bit more gruesome than I had been expecting (which is clearly my fault because it says Jack the Ripper right there in the title - what was I expecting really??). I loved the main character and the side characters were all engaging. I found the mystery a little obvious in that it wasn't obvious. By which I mean - we were so clearly being pointed in other directions that the real murderer was obvious. I'll be interested to see where the rest of the series will go from here because after solving the mystery of Jack the Ripper any other mystery is going to seem like a bit of an anti-climax.

Next Week on the Blog:

  • Clare Reviews: Sting by Sandra Brown
  • Top Ten Movie Freebie
  • Wednesday Catch-Up
  • Top 5 Favourite Publishers
  • Clare Reviews: Friction by Sandra Brown
  • Friday Reads
  • Clare Reviews: Burn by Suzanne Wright

 You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading

8 comments:

  1. Ha ha about the Shadowhunters, I love it when they put out reference books for beloved books or series. Always nice to learn more. I love that cover of A Study in Scarlet Women. And I do need to get the Smoke Hunter- it looks really fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really enjoy reference books. They really add some reality to a story! I am going to be reading and reviewing The Smoke Hunter soon and I am really excited for it!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed A Study in Scarlet Women and still need to read Jack the Ripper. Great bunch of books this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see a review of The Chemist! I'm interested to see what Meyer will do in the adult genre. I'm so interested in Stalking Jack the Ripper! I think I'll be able to guess who the murderer is from what you've said, but it should still be fun!

    Have a great week!
    Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I hope I didn't accidentally spoil it for you! I hate spoilers! Hope you enjoy Jack the Ripper anyway! Since you're interested I will definitely do a review for The Chemist!

      Delete
  4. Looks like you had an AWESOME week! I've been seeing a lot of Stalking Jack the Ripper around the blog block recently and have to admit, I'm pretty intrigued now. I might just have to pick it up myself!

    Also, great haul--here's hoping you enjoy your recent bookish acquisitions!

    Here's my Sunday Post, if you're interested in checking it out. No pressure or worries if you're not, though! Happy Sunday, and happy book-ing to you in the coming future! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy Stalking Jack the Ripper if you do pick it up! And I am definitely excited for the new books!

      Delete