Friday 4 August 2017

Friday Reads 4th August 2017

Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice and Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader. The idea is to share a sentence or so from the first page and the 56th page of the book you are currently reading!

The Comfort of Secrets: A Sweet Lake Novel
Book Beginning:
"The poster wagged before her nose: Sage Advice: Thyme to Discover Nature's Medicine - Right in Your Spice Rack!"

Friday 56:
"He peered out the sliding glass door at the backyard, ablaze in light. As was the front of the house - another bad sign in a day rife with bleak omens."

I adored the first book in the Sweet Lake series (review here) and am so very grateful to Christine for sending me a copy of the second book - The Comfort of Secrets! I am only a few pages in but already I'm loving it and I can't wait to continue!!  


You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare), Facebook and Instagram to keep up with what we are reading. 

13 comments:

  1. I love the thyme pun on the poster, that made me laugh immediately! I'm really interested in omens and herbs so I might have to check this one out! Thanks for sharing and I hope you have an amazing weekend!
    My Friday post
    Juli @  A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Juli! With regard to the pun, there's a subtle underpinning of "Wise Woman influence" throughout the book. The central characters in the series are three women in their early 30s; they are guided and influenced by an older group of women in the small, fictional town.

      Delete
  2. The comfort of secrets... Hmmmmm - interesting! Aren't secrets suppose to make us uncomfortable?

    Happy reading and have a good weekend. Here's my Friday Meets: http://marelithalkink.blogspot.co.za/2017/08/friday-meets-4-august-2017.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mareli! To answer your question regarding the title: For some people, it's all too easy to become comfortable with deception. I think of this as a base form of selfishness. In The Comfort of Secrets, an important secondary character is unaware the secrets she has kept for many years pose a danger to her adult son--and the young woman with whom he's fallen in love.

      Delete
  3. I had a hard time reading the 56 because I didn't want to look away from the cover! I've heard really good things about the first book and this one looks wonderful too. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your kind words, Katherine. I went round-and-round with the graphic designers at Lake Union for several months before they arrived at the perfect cover art.

      Delete
  4. I've enjoyed other books by this author but not read this series. Sounds like fun:)

    My Friday 56 from The Forever Man

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you dive into the new Sweet Lake series, Laura! At the moment, I'm busy working on the third book.

      Delete
  5. I loved this book, and the previous one. Thanks for sharing! Here's mine: “CLOSE YOUR EYES, HOLD HANDS”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Close your eyes, hold hands." I love that, Lorraine! And many thanks for your kind words. x

      Delete
  6. Nice cover. The pun in the beginning made me grit my teeth though. I am not a big fan of puns. I have Dead Man's Bridge by Robert J. Mrazek this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy reading (and Friday)!!

    ReplyDelete