Friday 11 August 2017

Friday Reads 11th August 2017

Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice and Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader. The idea is to share a sentence or so from the first page and the 56th page of the book you are currently reading!

Being Miss Nobody
Book Beginning:
"I was first diagnosed as Officially Weird two years ago, when I was nine years old."

Friday 56: 
"It was only my second day at Manor High, but already I had become The Weird Girl Who Can't Speak. And the chair next to me was Permanently Empty."

I am 62 pages into this so far and am absolutely loving it. I wasn't aware before starting that the main character was only 11 and that probably would have put me off - so I'm glad I didn't know. I wish I had a book like this when I was 11 and going through pretty much the same thing. My transition from Primary to Secondary school was very much like this. My "weirdness" was vaguely accepted in primary school but secondary school was hell. Also loving the capitalisations - that's 100% how words felt inside my head at times. Just really loving this right now. 

My review for last week's Friday Read (The Comfort of Secrets by Christine Nolfi) is now up and you should definitely check it out!

You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare), Facebook and Instagram to keep up with what we are reading. 

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like she's got the voice of Miss Nobody down pat. Nice quotes, and the book looks great too. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I very much related to the MC!

      Delete
  2. This sounds pretty cool - I'll probably be adding it to my tbr! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a feeling this will bring back some uncomfortable memories for me. Could be fun too though:)

    My Friday 56 from The Great Zoo Of China

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! There were so many times when I was reading and just winced at a memory - but it was kind of satisfying too!

      Delete
  4. I generally don't choose books with such young narrators...but recently, I have also read some that captivated me. The characters were usually pretty precocious, which I enjoy.

    This one sounds good. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE IDENTICALS”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same. I generally do not like narrators too much younger than me but this one wasn't a problem for me and I related to the MC.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a delightful read! :-) I added you to the Linky. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for adding me to the Linky! Hope you had a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. I love the cover! Here is the link to my Friday 56: https://coffeeandcatsblog.wordpress.com/2017/08/11/friday-56-39-cowboys-are-my-weakness/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! And it really fits with the book as well as being appealing which I like!

      Delete
  7. Aww...I always feel bad for kids who see themselves as weird, with no firends. Kids can be so cruel. Please visit my Friday Quotes Page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was that kid so I definitely related to the MC!

      Delete