Tuesday 1 August 2017

Clare's July Wrap Up and August TBR

July Wrap Up:

I read 22 books this month which I'm proud of! Most of them were incredible (I had a few disappointments at the beginning of the month) but since I'm currently exhausted having just returned from YALC I'm going to just do a Top 10 for this month! 
The Ultimatum (The Guardian, #1)GirlhoodThe One Memory of Flora BanksDoonLetters to the Lost
10. The Ultimatum by Karen Robards: This was Mission Impossible with far more morally dubious behaviour and a female lead and I absolutely loved it! It was such an exciting, action-packed read and I fell totally in love with the main character! 
9. Girlhood by Cat Clarke: This is LGBT (bisexual main character) and has some great character dynamics. I really enjoyed the drama of the friendships and the shifting relationships and I was totally on the edge of my seat until the end!
8. The One Memory of Flora Banks by Emily Barr: Not what I expected. In the best way. There was way less romance (which was good because I found the guys actions to be creepy) and more focus on family and friendships and self-growth. I cried a little. 
7. Doon by Carey Corp & Lorie Langdon: One of the best friendships I've ever read. It felt so realistic and their interactions were hilarious and emotional. I was less entranced by the romances if I'm honest but they were cute and I do look forward to more development in the rest of the series!
6. Letters to the Lost by Brigid Kemmerer: This was emotional and tense. I adored both main characters and some of the side characters as well and the relationship development was good. 
Tiny Pretty ThingsShiny Broken Pieces (Tiny Pretty Things, #2)The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and VirtueAfter the FireMoxie
5/4. Tiny Pretty Things/Shiny Broken Pieces by Sona Chairopotra & Dhonielle Clayton: SO SO GOOD. And SO Slytherin it kills me. I loved all the main characters. Straight up awful behaviour and all. And I wanted every single one of them to get what they wanted (which was impossible obviously). 
3. The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee: Just an amazing read. I adored Percy and Monty. Separately and together. And I was getting so frustrated by their inability to see how much they loved each other!!! It's quite a thick book but I read it in two sittings because it was such a quick, fun read.
2. After the Fire by Will Hill: I knew very little about this going in but I cannot say enough good things about it now! The main character was incredible and felt so real to me and I loved the format of the book, alternating between before and after so that the reveals came at just the right moment. I definitely want to re-read this. Preferably soon. (Also I met Will Hill at YALC and he was so nice!)
1. Moxie by Jenifer Mathieu: Just. Oh. My. God. I felt every possible emotion through this. Pain and anger and happiness and pride. Every character in this book was incredible. It was very reminiscent of The Female of the Species. Only with no murder. So if you loved TFOTS then you will love this and if you couldn't handle violence in TFOTS then you'll love this. Basically read it!


Reviews Posted This Month:

  • The Ultimatum by Karen Robards
  • What Goes Around by Julie Corbin

Challenge Progress:

  • Goodreads Reading Challenge: 161/250 - 64%
  • When Are You Reading Challenge: Nothing again this month! I have three time periods left to read this year (16th, 17th and 18th centuries)!

August TBR:

The Comfort of Secrets: A Sweet Lake NovelThe Epic Crush of Genie LoThe ArsonistPretty Fierce
Stealing CandyBeing Miss NobodyPowerlessWanted


You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare), Facebook and Instagram to keep up with what we are reading.

3 comments:

  1. WOW! What an incredible reading month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome month! Happy August!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great wrap up! Have fun reading! :)
    Hope you have a great August!

    - El @ El's Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete