Friday 18 August 2017

Friday Reads 18th August 2017

Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice and Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader. The idea is to share a sentence or so from the first page and the 56th page of the book you are currently reading!

Shifting Sands: Tradecraft: Phase One
Book Beginning:
"As the heavy military truck drove down the isolated desert road beneath the setting sun, Asghar spoke to his brother from the passenger's seat. The nervousness in his voice had nothing to do with their mission."

Friday 56:
"Sirvan's face grew stern as he lifted his leather jacket ever so slightly to reveal the gleam of his Beretta."
I'm really enjoying Shifting Sands so far. There's a lot of military tactics and info that does go slightly over my head but it's all explained so well that it doesn't ruin the tension and definitely adds to the sense of reality. Michael Shusko is doing a really good job with the characters who are all super flawed but you somehow like them anyway. I'm about halfway through at the moment and looking forward to continuing!

My review for last week's Friday Reads Being Miss Nobody by Tamsin Winters went up yesterday and you can check it out here if you're interested!

You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare), Facebook and Instagram to keep up with what we are reading.  

11 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're enjoying your current read. Happy Hopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The opening line let's us know the guys are human and nervous. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  3. That opening sentence was just right. It made me want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The opening line really shows the tension... great stuff!

    Have a great weekend - luv Sass :)

    Oh, here's mine - nearly forgot lol http://bit.ly/2vISu3P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think a book with a lot of military aspects would keep my interest but I'm glad you're enjoying it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not one for military reads, but that 56 pulled me in!! I added you to the Linky. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This does sound good! I don't often read military type reads, but not for lack of liking them. Just so much else I want to read and trying to fit it all in. You know how that goes, I'm sure. :-) I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds good. I like thrillers. I'm reading White Hot by Ilona Andrews this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I steer clear of military reading...but I can see how the intensity would draw one in. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “HERE & GONE”

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a book I would enjoy. Thanks for mentioning it.

    ReplyDelete