Wednesday 12 April 2017

Wednesday Catch-Up 12th April 2017

Every Wednesday we are linking up with WWW Wednesday. WWW Wednesday is hosted at Taking on a World of Words and asks 3 questions: What are you currently reading?, What did you recently finish reading? What do you think you'll read next? You can click any of the images to go to the Goodreads page for that book!

Currently Reading:

Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer, #1)
I'm actually going out today and I refuse to take this book out of the house (it's too pretty) so I may wind up reading something else as well on kindle. But I am super excited to read Strange the Dreamer I feel like I've been waiting ages for this book. I just realised I don't even know what it's about - weird that I am this excited to start a book I don't know anything about? I mean - it's Laini Taylor what else do I really need to know? 

Recently Finished:

Proof of LiesBlood Rose Rebellion (Blood Rose Rebellion, #1)Defy the StarsThe Beast of London (Book 1 of the Mina Murray series)
Proof of Lies was an incredible start to my reading week! I loved the characters, the plot was exciting and Diana Rodriguez Wallach's writing was wonderful! I liked the ending - sort of complete but with a hint of mystery to come and I am excited for the next book! Blood Rose Rebellion however was a bit of a disappointment. There were a few inaccuracies and generalisations regarding Europe. When I started getting super nitpicky (I got real mad because storks are a good omen not a bad omen!) I realised I was just not enjoying it - I get really fussy when I already don't like a book. The last quarter of the book did pick up and was more exciting but Anna never grew to be a character I could like unfortunately. Defy the Stars was underwhelming for me. My review for this will be up tomorrow but to summarise - I didn't really connect with any of the characters and whilst I liked the world building and the potential for a good story was there it didn't quite follow through for me. The Beast of London was one I thought would be good but somehow it exceeded that expectation - it was great! I really loved Mina and the atmosphere and just! Ugh so good. My full review will be up on Saturday. And I promise I wrote more than - ugh so good. I swear.

Planning to Read Next:

A Crown of Wishes (The Star-Touched Queen, #2)Origin (Corpus, #1)Vitro (Corpus, #2)
I am kind of excited to read A Crown of Wishes? I wasn't in love with the first book but everything I've seen about this suggests its better than The Star-Touched Queen. And I pulled it out of my TBR jar so it's up! And then Origin and Vitro - I adored The Forbidden Wish by Jessica Khoury so I can't wait to read these!

Don't forget you can still add a link to our new weekly link up Monday Highlights - just add a link to your favourite recent blog post (one you're proud of or enjoyed making)! It's a great way of discovering new blogs or catching up on posts we've missed! 

You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare), Facebook and Instagram to keep up with what we are reading.

8 comments:

  1. I've seen a lot of raves for Defy the Stars so it's nice to see another view- I'm undecided on that one. I should go back and read Origin since I liked Vitro so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just didn't really feel one way or the other about Defy the Stars which was disappointing!

      Delete
  2. I'm still intrigued by Proof of Lies. Enjoy your week, and thanks for sharing. Here's MY WWW POST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend it! It was wonderfully written and I loved the characters!

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to read your review on Proof of Lies and The Beast of London.
    Here is my post
    http://totallyaddictedtoreading.blogspot.com/2017/04/what-are-you-reading-wednesdays-7.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beast of London is going to be up on Saturday! I really loved it!

      Delete
  4. I have Proof of Lies and need to get to it. I'm so glad you see how much you loved The Beast of London. I am really starting to love books set in London. I've yet to read a Laini Taylor book (don't shoot me :) I know tons love her and I own several. You're the second person I've seen this week disappointed in Blood Rose Rebellion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to read it soon! I really enjoyed it! I always love books set in London because its my hometown but it's especially great when they feel so real! No! You definitely should! I love her books! And yeah - Blood Rose Rebellion was just so very disappointing. The main character was awful and the settings were badly written (in contrast to The Beast of London)!

      Delete