Friday 7 April 2017

Friday Reads 7th April 2017

Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice and Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader. The idea is to share a sentence or so from the first page and the 56th page of the book you are currently reading!

Blood Rose Rebellion (Blood Rose Rebellion, #1)
Book Beginning:
"I did not set out to ruin my sister's debut."

Friday 56:
"It is to be hoped," Papa said, "that the Circle will lose interest in you during your absence. I care less for the scandal than for your safety."

I am only a little further on than the 56 so far so I am not yet sure what I think of this. So far it's been fun but hasn't totally blown me away? But the whole setup really intrigues me - Historical Fiction and Fantasy are two of my favourite genres so in theory this should be fantastic. The sister relationship really interests me because it seems to be a very hate/love rivalry but with some caring feelings sort of thing and that is so complex and I want more of it - but with Anna in Hungary and her sister back in England that seems unlikely which is a shame. I like Anna but she is also thoroughly annoying at times - but in a way that suggests there might be character growth later? So fingers crossed for that!! 

Have you read this? Let me know what you thought of it if you have, I'd love to know!

Question:
On a completely unrelated note - I am currently thinking of starting a weekly link up where you could link your favourite blog post from the past week (either one you are super proud of or even someone else's post that you loved), I've been really wanting to interact and discover new blogs even more and I think this would be such a fun and positive way of doing that. Please do let me know if that is something you would be interested in!!


You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare), Facebook and Instagram to keep up with what we are reading. 

28 comments:

  1. That cover. Gorgeous. Not sure about combining fantasy with Historical fiction, but hey, why not?

    I love your idea. I would definitely participate in that favourite blog post linky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah its kind of a hard combination to manage in terms of societal structure? But she seems to be handling it well!
      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I love that cover, and hope this one gets better for you!

    And I second the idea- I would totally link up if you did that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a gorgeous cover I'm hoping for great things (or greatER anyway)!
      And thank you!

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed that book. I hope you do too. This week I am reading The Inconceivable Life of Quinn by Marianna Baer. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover is gorgeous. I like your idea and something I would love to be a part of.
    Here is my post
    http://totallyaddictedtoreading.blogspot.com/2017/04/friday-meme.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! And thanks! I will hopefully start it soon since people are interested!

      Delete
  5. The first person voice draws me in.

    Your link up idea sounds good. I'll be looking for it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always seem to do better with first person - and Anna has a strong voice which is great!
      Thanks - I'll probably be starting it next week! :)

      Delete
  6. I think your idea of a weekly link up about blogs is a great one! I'd love for you and your readers to check out mine . . . http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsTTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you'll be able to take part!

      Delete
  7. I am always on the lookout for new blogs to follow too. The linky is a great idea.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  8. A good scandal can make for great reading. :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its certainly a great start to a story! :)

      Delete
  9. I do love the cover...and I'm always up for a scandal.

    I like the idea of linking up favorite blog posts. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “BEACH BREEZE”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! It's such a beautiful book!
      Thank you!

      Delete
  10. I've heard some mixed things about this book. I hope you enjoy it. And I think the linky sounds like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I've heard some mixed things now as well! Hopefully I will like it? But at least its a pretty book!
      Thank you!

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous cover. I hope you are enjoying the book.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a beautiful book! So far I'm not blown away by the story but it does show promise!

      Delete
  12. I hope Anna shows that well hoped for character development. I really like your link up idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I because if she stays as she is I will end up disliking her!! Thank you!

      Delete
  13. Sounds like an awesome Fantasy book! Happy Weekend :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  14. The snippets definitely make me want to know more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't super impressed with it by the end actually! So much potential but so many inaccuracies about Europe and the main character was just awful!

      Delete