Wednesday 11 May 2016

Wednesday Catch-Up 11th May 2016

Every Wednesday we are linking up with WWW Wednesday. WWW Wednesday is hosted at Taking on a World of Words and asks 3 questions: What are you currently reading?, What did you recently finish reading? What do you think you'll read next? 

Clare:

Currently Reading:
HEXDoctor Thorne (Chronicles of Barsetshire, #3)
I am about 50 pages into Hex and so far I am not loving it. I don't know what it is but despite the promising start and intriguing plot I am just a little bit lost and not connecting with the characters yet. But hopefully that will improve. I am also 31 pages into Doctor Thorne. I had planned to be a little further along with this by now but I am enjoying it.

Recently Finished:
Savage MagicBrighton BelleLondon CallingEngland ExpectsDead Cold (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #2)The Cruellest Month (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #3)The Murder Stone (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #4)Those GirlsThe Girl in 6E (Deanna Madden, #1)Jane Steele
The first book I finished this week was Savage Magic which I found to be... OK. It possibly just wasn't for me. I didn't like the majority of the characters and those I did like, didn't get much page time. The mystery was incredibly easy to solve but on the plus side - the descriptions were very good. I then read the first three books in the Mirabelle Bevan series - Brighton Belle, London Calling and England Expects which were really excellent mysteries. They were far better than I had even expected and I loved the characters, particularly Mirabelle. I definitely want to continue this series! I then read Louise Penny's Dead Cold, The Cruellest Month and The Murder Stone all of which I enjoyed but didn't love. I may continue the series but not yet. I then read Those Girls which was way darker and more horrifying than I had expected. It was a good book but a very difficult one and there is definitely a trigger warning for abuse and rape. Next up was The Girl in 6E which was a weird book, but a fun one. I enjoyed the characters and the plot and I am curious to see where this series will go! And then I read my favourite book of the week which was Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye. I will have a review up for this next week but just know that I absolutely loved it. It was everything I had expected and wanted and just a little bit more!

Planning to Read Next:
Ten Front Lines (Soldier Girl, #1)Rose Under Fire (Code Name Verity, #2)
Next I am planning to read Ten by Gretchen McNeil which sounds a bit like a horror movie in book form and I am excited for it. It could be chock full of cliches but I think it will be a lot of fun. I am then planning to read two books about WW2, Front Lines imagines an alternate history in which women were conscripted alongside men whilst Rose Under Fire is a sequel of sorts to Code Name Verity which I read a long time ago and loved. I don't actually know the plot but I don't want to.


You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading

4 comments:

  1. Jane Steele sounds intriguing - will look out for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always blown away by how much you read in a week. Wow! Glad you got through the whole series! That's quite impressive. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete