Tuesday 31 May 2016

Top Ten Books I Want to Read This Summer

Top Ten Tuesdays are hosted at The Broke and the Bookish. We initially struggled with this one a bit. Ann never reads at the beach and whilst I do read at the beach - it isn't my favourite place. In addition to this all the beaches near us are the rocky kind with lots of gusts of wind, so reading is always a bit of a nightmare! So I modified it a bit to the books I want to read this summer - on or off the beach!

1)  Summer Days and Summer Nights by Stephanie Perkins
Summer Days & Summer Nights: Twelve Love Stories
Her Christmas collection was perfect for the season and I am excited to get into this one. I will probably read a story a day like I did with the Christmas collection. 

2) The Square Root of Summer by Harriet Reuter Hapgood
The Square Root of Summer
It has Summer in the title so it must be perfect for the season! I haven't heard much about this book although I have seen it around a lot - I am hoping it will be a great read. 

3) A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas
A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2)
This is a huge book so at least if I read it on the beach it's unlikely to blow away in the wind! This is a book I know I will be completely absorbed by!

4) Marrying Winterborne by Lisa Klepas
Marrying Winterborne (The Ravenels, #2)
Regency Romance is actually my Genre of Summer and definitely the genre I read most often on beach days. Lisa Kleypas is one of my favourite authors and I know this will be a light, fun and romantic read.

5) The Forbidden Orchid by Sharon Biggs Waller
The Forbidden Orchid
I actually don't know much about this book but my copy just arrived in the post so it's a bit on my mind. It has a beautiful cover and looks like an exciting historical read!

6) The Second Love of my Life by Victoria Walters
The Second Love of My Life
This is a slightly sadder book - which isn't normal for Summer but the cover seems summery to me for some reason and as a contemporary it should be perfect for summer.

7) Every Exquisite Thing by Matthew Quick
Every Exquisite Thing
I loved Silver Linings Playbook (movie more than the film actually) and I am excited to read this one - it is YA Contemporary and there is a tortoise on the cover - all of which make me think it a beach read for some reason.

8) The Butterfly Summer by Harriet Evans
The Butterfly Summer
Another one with Summer in the title! How could I possibly read this at any other time of year?

9) The Way to Game the Walk of Shame by Jenn P. Nguyen
The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
The cover and the title all appeal to me. I am looking forward to this one!

10) Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld 
Eligible (The Austen Project #4)
I received this for review on Netgalley and I have been looking forward to reading it ever since. A kindle may not be the best idea on the beach (I am entirely capable of dropping it in a rock pool) but this will definitely be a great read. 


You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading

14 comments:

  1. Eligible and Every Exquisite Thing are both on my tbr. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never realized that was a tortoise on the cover of the Quick book - how cute. I can't wait to see your thoughts on that one. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to get my hands on The Square Root of Summer. It sounds so good! great Top Ten! :D
    My Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading Summer Days and Summer Nights now and enjoying it- I like short story collections but don't read a lot of them usually. And The Butterfly Season has a nice cover- looks very summery. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I saw your post on it! I am looking forward to reading it!

      Delete
  5. I want to read The Square Root of Summer really badly. That cover is beautiful! And I read ACOTAR recently, and I'm not entirely sure I want to read ACOMAF. I kinda liked the way acotar ended. It was conclusive enough for me. Great list!!

    - Lefty @ The Left-Handed Book Lover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit mediocre on ACOTAR but I have heard that ACOMAF is way, way better and I like the sound of where the romance goes! But the first book did work quite well as a stand-alone!

      Delete
  6. I have ACOMAF, but I'm not sure I'll read it over the summer, I have other books that I'm more excited for at the moment!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/05/31/top-ten-tuesday-59/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard great things which makes me excited but I can see why it wouldn't be a Summer book!

      Delete
  7. I really want to read the Square Root of Summer. I almost requested it on NetGalley, but passed it up and kind of regret it. I hope you enjoy all your reads this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the exact same thing! Kicking myself now!

      Delete