Sunday 22 May 2016

Sunday Post 22nd May 2016

The Sunday Post STSmall_thumb[2]
The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted at Caffeinated Book Reviewer, it's a chance to post a recap on the past week, show the books we have received and share what we plan for the coming week. Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga's Reviews and the aim is to show our newest books and to see what everyone else received for review, borrowed from libraries, bought in bookshops or downloaded on to their e-reader. As always you can click on any of the pictures to be taken to the Goodreads page for that book if you're interested in finding out more about it.

Last Week on the Blog:

Books We Got This Week:
The Crown's Game (The Crown's Game, #1)Every Exquisite ThingThe Second Love of My Life
The Crown's Game by Evelyn Skye: This is one of my most anticipated books of the year so I am very excited it arrived!
Every Exquisite Thing by Mathew Quick: I was sent this for review by the publisher. I love The Silver Linings Playbook so I hope to love this as well.
The Second Love of My Life by Victoria Walters: I was sent this for review by the publisher as well and I am excited, though nervous to read it. I cry at everything, I have been known to cry at commercials on TV so I am pretty certain this book will make me sob - but on the flip side it looks like an amazing story!
Red Rising (Red Rising, #1)Regency BuckThe Grand Sophy
Red Rising by Pierce Brown: I am very excited for this series - I have heard so, so many good things.
Regency Buck/The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer: These are two of my favourite Heyer novels and since my own copies went missing recently I jumped at the chance to get the beautiful new covers! 
The Butterfly SummerThe Outliers (The Outliers #1)The Sway (Classified #1)
The Butterfly Summer by Harriet Evans: I received this for review from Headline. I have enjoyed Evans' books in the past so I have a good feeling about this one.
The Outliers by Kimberly McCreight: I received this via Netgalley and am excited to read it. The plot sounds very interesting to me and I am excited to read this soon!
The Sway by Ruby Knight: I love anything related to assassins so this sounds great. This is another Netgalley book.

Reading Update:
Ann:
The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5)The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1)The Son of Neptune (Heroes of Olympus, #2)
The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan: 5 stars, Great ending to this series. I loved it very much.
The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan: 5 stars, Loved the fact that I couldn't figure out what was going to happen until it was revealed. Overall a great read.
The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan: 5 stars, I love Riordan's writing and this series!


Clare:
The Unexpected EverythingHello, Goodbye, and Everything in BetweenExit, Pursued by a BearRadio Silence
The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson: 4.5 stars, Emotional and funny with great characters and a compelling story. Really enjoyed this!
Hello, Goodbye and Everything in Between: 4 stars, Short but emotional. I found myself actually crying over the partings which shows I cared about the characters.
Exit, Pursued by a Bear by E.K. Johnston: 4.5 stars, Beautifully written and engaging story with so much strength to the characters. 
Radio Silence by Alice Oseman: 4 stars, Alice Oseman writes such wonderfullly real characters. I felt like I knew these people!
Out of ControlConspiracy GirlTangled SoulsThe Dark Vampire (Last True Vampire, #3)
Out of Control by Sarah Alderson: 4 stars, Lots of action and romance. Definitely an exciting read.
Conspiracy Girl by Sarah Alderson: 4 stars, Much like Out of Control this was action packed with a great romance. These are very addictive books.
Tangled Souls by Jana Oliver: 2.5 stars, I never grew to love these characters and I think there were too many plot points going on that didn't tie together satisfactorily.
The Dark Vampire by Kate Baxter: 4 stars, Enjoyable book with great characters, an engaging romance and a quite well drawn world. I look forward to reading more of this series. I will have a full review up soon.
Legally BlondeEvery Other DayDemon Road (Demon Road, #1)The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride, #1)
Legally Blonde by Amanda Brown: 3 stars, I enjoyed this but probably would have liked it more if I didn't love the film so much.
Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes: 4 stars, Enjoyable and exciting read. I very much enjoyed this.
Demon Road by Derek Landy: 2 stars, I never grew to like the main character which did affect my enjoyment of the book.
The Angel Experiment by James Patterson: 4 stars, Very good start to the series. I definitely want to continue although its a fairly long series so it may take me a while!
Zeroes (Zeroes, #1)The Hidden Oracle (The Trials of Apollo, #1)Regency BuckThe Grand Sophy
Zeroes by Scott Westerfeld, Margo Lanagan and Deborah Biancotti: 3 stars, I felt a bit disconnected from the characters but I did like the concept and the plot. 
The Hidden Oracle by Rick Riordan: 4.5 stars, This was just as funny and exciting as I expected. I liked Apollo more than I thought I would and I am excited for the rest of the series.
Regency Buck by Georgette Heyer: 4.5 stars, This is one of my favourite Heyer novels and a re-read for me.
The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer: 5 stars, Definitely in my top 3 Heyer novels. I love Sophy and this has such a great comical plot.

Next Week on the Blog:

  • Cover Characteristic: Only the Back of People
  • Top Ten Books I Feel Differently About After Time Has Passed
  • Top 5 Characters You Defend
  • Clare Reviews: HEX by Thomas Olde Heuvelt
  • Friday Reads

You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading

18 comments:

  1. So many books!
    I've seen The Crown's Game everywhere recently but I have to admit that I really don't like that cover! I know I shouldn't judge the cover but for as much publicity and hype there is about this book I think it should have a nicer cover. This one looks like a bad photoshop job, to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover actually looks quite nice in real life but not as nice as it could have been!

      Delete
  2. Am intrigued about Every Exquisite Thing. I read another by him (not Silver Linings) last year and was a bit underwhelmed from memory!

    Very impressive book hauls this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only read Silver Linings by him and I will admit to preferring the film! But I am very hopeful for this one!

      Delete
  3. You got some amazing books this week. I hope you love all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do all look so great! Hopefully we will enjoy them!

      Delete
  4. Looks like a nice mix of books. I like the covers of Every Exquiwssite Thing and The Second Love of my Life, and the Heyer covers are nice too. Out of Control looks fun too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a sucker for beautiful covers as always! They all seem like they will be great reads!

      Delete
  5. Ooooh nice haul! Lots of these are new to me and are going on my TBR. Hope you enjoy!
    Bambi's StS and Recap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could add to your TBR! Hope you enjoy them if you read them as well!

      Delete
  6. It seems like you two had a great week! I'm excited to see your thoughts on The Crown's Game--that one seems extremely interesting! I'm glad you enjoyed The Unexpected Everything, Clare. I really enjoyed it as well. Hope you two have a great week full of more great reading!

    My Sunday post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen very mixed things about The Crown's Game so I am not sure what to expect! I am glad you enjoyed The Unexpected Everything too!

      Delete
  7. I wasn't a big fan of The Last Olympian, but I really liked Lost Hero & Son of Neptune. The Hidden Oracle is on my priority list.

    My Sunday Summary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hidden Oracle was a great read - it needed more Percy as all books do but it was a lot of fun!

      Delete
  8. Every time I swear I won't grab another post, I visit some blogs and grab more. LOL This is one impressive batch of reads!

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are always so many blogs to visit!

      Delete
  9. I just finished The Crown's Game and really enjoyed it. Looks like you got some great books this week too! I've got REd Rising and I need to get to reading it soon!
    Check out my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear you enjoyed it, I've been hearing mixed things but I hope I will enjoy it too! I have been wanting to read Red Rising for ages - hopefully we can both read it soon!

      Delete