Sunday 23 October 2016

Sunday Post 23rd October 2016

The Sunday Post STSmall_thumb[2]
The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted at Caffeinated Book Reviewer, it's a chance to post a recap on the past week, show the books we have received and share what we plan for the coming week. Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga's Reviews and the aim is to show our newest books and to see what everyone else received for review, borrowed from libraries, bought in bookshops or downloaded on to their e-reader. As always you can click on any of the pictures to be taken to the Goodreads page for that book if you're interested in finding out more about it.

I had a pretty traumatic weekend this week as my phone was stolen! You never realise just how much you depend on it until its gone... But everyone was wonderful, the police were super helpful and the store owner was an absolute hero and my phone company were great. I haven't got my phone back but the man who stole it was arrested so there's that. My replacement phone is on its way and I am sure I will be sleeping fine soon. 

Last Week on the Blog:

Books We Got This Week:

With MaliceMiracle On 5th Avenue (From Manhattan with Love #3)Shadow Silence (Whisper Hollow, #2)
With Malice by Eileen Cook: After hearing so much about this book (both good and bad) I had to give it a try. This is another library book - feel like I've been getting those a lot lately, so I am definitely going to have to read it soon.
Miracle on 5th Avenue: Was approved for this on Netgalley and am very excited for it as I loved the first two books in the series.
Shadow Silence by Yasmine Galenorn: Received from the publisher for review. This is the second book in the Whisper Hollow series. I have already ordered a copy of the first book which should arrive next week so I can get reading this series!
Deadly Silence (Blood Brothers #1)Christmas in Eternity Springs: Eternity Springs 12To Love and to Cherish (The Wedding Belles, #3)
Deadly Silence by Rebecca Zanetti: Received from the publisher for review. The buzz for this book has been amazing and I am excited to read it soon. It looks perfect for October.
Christmas in Eternity Springs by Emily March: Received from the publisher for review. This is the 12th book in the Eternity Springs series but you can read them separately which is good as I have only read one other book in this series. The cover is so festive and makes me excited for Christmas.
To Love and to Cherish by Lauren Layne: Received from the publisher for review. The third book in the Wedding Belles series. I really like this cover and I think this should be a good read.
Gemina (The Illuminae Files, #2)If I Was Your Girl
The Courage of a Samurai by Lori Tsugawa Whaley: I was contacted to see if I would be interested in reading and reviewing this and I definitely was. It's a little different from my usual reads but it really intrigues me and I look forward to reading it.
Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff: I have been so excited for this all year - after Crooked Kingdom this was my most anticipated book of 2016!
If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo: This is the first book in the Zoella book club and I am very excited to read it. It looks like a very important and good read.

Reading Update:

Ann:
Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
Crooked Kingdom: 5 stars, I loved this book as much as if not more that I loved Six of Crows. I still really love the characters and my favourite is definitely Kaz. Unfortunately this book took me a while to finish so it was all I managed to read.

Clare:
Her Royal SpynessA Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2)Royal Flush (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #3)
Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen: 3 stars, I really liked the concept of a royal main character and all of the characters had great personalities. But I did feel like the mystery element was a little weak - I was fairly certain of the resolution from very early on which meant there wasn't a lot of suspense. Definitely a fun read though.
A Royal Pain by Rhys Bowen: 3 stars, Actually enjoyed this slightly less than the first one. Still really like the main character but I was less engaged with the story.
A Royal Flush by Rhys Bowen: 3.5 stars, My favourite of the series so far. The ending was fairly obvious but less so than in the previous books and it was more fun getting there. After reading this one I know I definitely want to continue the series!
Murder at the Brightwell (Amory Ames Mystery, #1)Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)Gemina (The Illuminae Files, #2)
Murder at the Brightwell by Ashley Weaver: 4.5 stars, This was such a great mystery with truly compelling characters. I really cared about who could have done the murder and it kept me guessing until almost the end when everything started to come together!
Death Wears a Mask by Ashley Weaver: 4 stars, Picked this up straight after the first book and really enjoyed it. I would say, the mystery in this was a little easier to solve but watching the characters solve it was just as entertaining. Can't wait for the third book although I hope Milo and Amery's relationship stays slightly more settled.
Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff: 4.5 stars, The science aspects towards the end almost lost me for a minute because science is really not my strength. But luckily it was pretty well explained so I just about understood what was going on. I didn't love Hanna and Nik as quickly as I loved Kady and Ezra in Illuminae but they grew on me and I ended up adoring them (especially Hanna)! Looking forward to the next book.


Next Week on the Blog:

  • Clare Reviews: The Unseeing by Anna Mazzola
  • Top Ten Halloween Freebie
  • Wednesday Catch-Up
  • Top 5 Favourite Spooky Settings
  • Clare Reviews: Fell by Jenn Ashworth
  • Friday Reads
  • November Releases!


You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading 

18 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, how terrible about your phone! Most of us don't realize how lost we would be without it...until it's gone.

    Glad the police caught the guy...

    You have some tempting books here...With Malice is one I've been eyeing.

    Enjoy your week...and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I am glad they caught him but there was so much on my phone I wish I still had - like my brother's graduation video. So I wish he would tell the police what he did with it.
      With Malice definitely looks interesting. I was unsure about buying it so I am glad the library had it!

      Delete
  2. Yikes, sorry to hear about the theft! At least he got arrested though- yay for that. With Malice and Gemina both look great - and glad to hear Death Wears A Mask was good, as I haven't read it yet. I liked amory a lot in the first one, Miloless so, so I'm curious to see where she takes their relationship.

    And Spooky settings- that should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first time anything like that has happened me so I am a bit shocked but it'll work out OK! Gemina was amazing - really enjoyed it.
      I think in Death Wears a Mask I started to get a bit fed up with the relationship drama. I'd rather they just sorted it and solved mysteries!

      Delete
  3. That's wild that they caught the thief! You don't often get to see that. Sorry about the phone though. And I'm still drooling over those awesome books!

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They caught him like twenty minutes later - they were all super efficient and it was mostly thanks to the store keeper who was amazing! I have ordered a replacement phone which should arrive soon but it's so weird being without a phone!
      But at least I did get so, so many gorgeous books this week! Excited to read them all!

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a crazy thing to happen. So glad they caught the guy! What an awesome book haul! Hope you enjoy them all! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not something I ever expected to happen! We live in such a quiet area as well, swear there is hardly any crime here.
      The books all look amazing and I am excited to read them! Hope you have a great week too!

      Delete
  5. Oh, an interesting mix of books this week!

    Sorry to hear about your phone but great everyone's been so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I am focusing on how great everyone was rather than how sucky that one person was! And I got a ton of great looking books!

      Delete
  6. My copy of Gemina just arrived! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing! I think I may have preferred Illuminae but Gemina was still really great!

      Delete
  7. OMG! I would totally freak out if I lost my phone, especially if someone stole it. That sucks that you didn't get it back. :-( I want to read If I Was Your Girl. It sounds like a really good book. Thanks for visiting Lisa Loves Literature's Sunday Post earlier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad they caught the guy but I would have loved to get my phone back! If I Was Your Girl is one I've wanted for a while so I am glad I finally decided to get it!

      Delete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear about your phone! It sounds like you had a good experience with everyone though (as good as you can get in the situation, I guess!). The cover for If I Was Your Girl is so cute. I had no idea that Zoella was doing a book club. I might join in every now and again.

    Have a great week!
    Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it could have been a lot worse and I am so grateful for everyone who helped me! Zoella picks 8 books each season and then you can read however many of them you want to - I have only read 1 of the 8 before and the other 7 all look really interesting so I think I will probably be reading all of them!

      Delete
  9. I had my phone stolen a couple of years ago... they also got my ID, debit card and bus pass. The guy who mugged me was never arrested {at least on my case anyway}. I'm glad to hear that you are ok and that everyone was so great helping you out. It's definitely a scary thing to have happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God that must have been awful! At least in my case the guy was caught! It was scary and I am now super nervous about going out anywhere but I don't want to avoid it and give in to fear!

      Delete