Saturday 8 October 2016

Ann Reviews: Love, Lies and Spies by Cindy Anstey

Love, Lies and SpiesTitle: Love, Lies and Spies
Author: Cindy Anstey
Source: Purchased
Publisher: Swoon Reads
Pages: 368
Format: Paperback
Rating: 5/5
Blurb: Juliana Telford is not your average nineteenth-century young lady. She’s much more interested in researching ladybugs than marriage, fashionable dresses, or dances. So when her father sends her to London for a season, she’s determined not to form any attachments. Instead, she plans to secretly publish their research.

Spencer Northam is not the average young gentleman of leisure he appears. He is actually a spy for the War Office, and is more focused on acing his first mission than meeting eligible ladies. Fortunately, Juliana feels the same, and they agree to pretend to fall for each other. Spencer can finally focus, until he is tasked with observing Juliana’s traveling companions . . . and Juliana herself. 


After reading a teaser for this book I immediately liked the main character and wanted to read more. However I didn't read it for a while and then recently I found it on the shelf and decided that I would read it. It was as brilliant as the first chapter had been. I recommend you read it!

The main character was one of the main reasons why I wanted to read this book, this was because she was so different and intriguing. I loved that she thought she didn't need a guy and that she could be just as successful without one. However I also loved the other characters and their relationships. I loved that all the characters had different personalities and were all very realistic. However there is one character that I think could have had more to his story, which is why I believe that he should be given his own story because I think that he could be a very interesting character.

The plot of this book was excellently done, and I loved that not all the action was saved till the last few chapters. There was always a lot happening throughout the book and if it weren't for school I probably would have read the whole book in one go. Some of the plot twists I did see coming however there were an equal amount that I did not expect but still really enjoyed.

Normally when reading I book I find that they can go into to much detail about a setting which really annoys me. However all the settings in this book I found were perfectly described and I could picture them in my head very easily.

Overall I really enjoyed everything about this book and it helped to get me out me back into a reading mood after not wanting to read anything for a few weeks. I would definitely recommend that you read it if it interests you because personally I thought it was brilliantly written!



You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like so much fun! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete