Sunday 5 November 2017

Sunday Post 5th November 2017

The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted at Caffeinated Book Reviewer, it's a chance to post a recap on the past week, show the books we have received and share what we plan for the coming week. Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga's Reviews and Reading Reality and the aim is to show our newest books and to see what everyone else received for review, borrowed from libraries, bought in bookshops or downloaded on to their e-reader.

Books We Got This Week:

The Empress (The Diabolic #2)The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)The Tiger’s Daughter (Their Bright Ascendency, #1)
The Empress by S.J. Kincaid: I've been waiting oh so impatiently for this since reading and loving The Diabolic! I am so looking forward to diving in!
The Glass Spare by Lauren DeStefano: Cover buy if I'm honest. The plot sounds good and I've heard some really positive things but I just couldn't let this cover go and that's what finally convinced me to pre-order!
The Tiger's Daughter by K. Arsenault Rivera: One of those books I feel like I've been waiting for all my life. This is LGBT high fantasy with a gorgeous cover and an amazing sounding mythology! Definitely reading this soon!


Reading Update:

Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons, #1)Genuine FraudBefore the Devil Breaks You (The Diviners, #3)Nemesis (Nemesis #1)
Wonder Woman Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo: 3 stars, This was let down purely because my hopes were SO sky high. Which is my own fault! I wasn't as connected to the characters or the setup as I wanted to be (although I obviously loved Diana). The ending wasn't hugely satisfying.
Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart: 4 stars, I've seen some mixed reviews of this - the negative ones usually from people who loved We Were Liars. Which I have somehow never read (and haven't had spoiled for me, its a miracle). All I know is that I greatly enjoyed this. The story works backward from the present which threw me at first but I soon loved. The main character was compelling and strangely likable and the plot was so engaging!
Before the Devil Breaks You by Libba Bray: 4 stars, Another one with mixed reviews. And I get it. Kind of. It isn't my favourite of the series but The Diviners will always be a high bar to beat. I genuinely loved the way the love triangle went (although there was a bit towards the middle I did not like). I need more of these characters and it kills me to know how long I will have to wait for it!!
Nemesis by Anna Banks: This was one of the first Fairy Loot box books I got and I still hadn't read it. So decided to pick it up and found it... disappointing. The slave-romance angle will always and forever be something that loses me. Yes she was super outspoken anyway but he continually thought of her as a gift (she was "gifted" to him) and the whole thing left me feeling off. Other than that I found the plot to be pretty generic and the characters were... nice? But not overly interesting. 


You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare), Facebook and Instagram to keep up with what we are reading.

12 comments:

  1. The Empress looks pretty dang good, and Genuine Fraud definitely looks like one I'd like as well, with the unique format. Plus I liked liked Liars, mostly, so curious to try another of hers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't expecting a sequel to The Diabolic but it looks pretty epic so I'm excited! And yeah Genuine Fraud was a lot of fun, I really need to read Liars!!

      Delete
  2. I'm making my way through Before the Devil Breaks You now and I'm really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! It gets really, really good towards the end!!

      Delete
  3. I have been on the fence about reading Genuine Fraud. I have enjoyed other Lockhart books, but reviews are SOOOO mixed. I don't mind backward story telling or other timeline shifts, that I know other readers lament about. Maybe I will like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of the mixed reviews are just disappointment at it not living up to We Were Liars, if you've enjoyed other of her books and don't mind backward story telling I'd say you would probably like it!

      Delete
  4. I am glad you enjoyed Genuine Fraud, as I have it...and I've noticed some mixed reactions. Enjoy your week! Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES


    ReplyDelete
  5. Genuine Fraud caught my eye. Actually all of these did. LOL Enjoy:)

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genuine Fraud was great!! And I'm really excited for my new books! :)

      Delete
  6. I really need to get my hands on Empress. The cover is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! The cover design for this series is so good!!

      Delete