Sunday 6 August 2017

Sunday Post 6th August 2017

The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted at Caffeinated Book Reviewer, it's a chance to post a recap on the past week, show the books we have received and share what we plan for the coming week. Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga's Reviews and Reading Reality and the aim is to show our newest books and to see what everyone else received for review, borrowed from libraries, bought in bookshops or downloaded on to their e-reader. As always you can click on any of the pictures to be taken to the Goodreads page for that book if you're interested in finding out more about it or click the title to go to the review.

Last weekend was, no exaggeration, the best weekend of my life. It was incredible to be surrounded by people who love books as much as we do and fangirl/guy just as hard over the characters and authors we love! There were also so many incredible books there that we have a pretty enormous haul (sorry we haven't posted it yet - I'm exhausted just thinking about it). We met so many wonderful people and had a lovely time! Also we saw Benedict Cumberbatch. Like, a lot. He basically lived on the YALC floor! 

Last Week on the Blog:


Books We Got This Week:

Clare:
The Wardrobe MistressThe Comfort of Secrets: A Sweet Lake NovelDefender (The Voices #1)The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
The Wardrobe Mistress by Natalie Meg Evans: Received from the publisher for an honest review. Really looking forward to this! 
The Comfort of Secrets by Christine Nolfi: I've already read this and my review will be up Tuesday!
Defender by G.X. Todd: Received from the publisher for an honest review. This sounds intense and exciting!
The Most Dangerous Place on Earth by Lindsey Lee Johnson: Received from the publisher for an honest review.
CIN (CIN #1)Traitor (CIN #2)Madness is Better Than DefeatA Beautiful Poison
Cin/Traitor by Christina Leigh Pritchard: Received via Netgalley. These look like great guilty pleasure reads - hopefully very enjoyable.
Madness Is Better Than Defeat by Ned Beauman: Received from the publisher for review. This is one of the prettiest ARCs I've ever received and I think this title may be my new life motto!
A Beautiful Poison by Lydia Kang: I've been pumped for this ever since I heard it was recommended for fans of Cat Winters (which I 100% am) and it's so pretty and I want to read it now!

Reading Update:

Ann:
Songs About Us (Songs About A Girl, #2)
Songs About Us by Chris Russell: 5 stars, This is one of the books I got while in London for YALC and I was very excited to read it, overall it was amazing and it even had an asexual relationship.

Clare:
The Last MagicianHuntedThe Comfort of Secrets: A Sweet Lake Novel
The Last Magician by Lisa Maxwell: 4 stars, If Six of Crows and Shades of Magic had a baby this would be that baby. I liked the morally ambiguous characters and the heist plot. I did feel like it was a bit too similar to SoC and SoM in places but it was original enough that I am excited for the sequel.
Hunted by Meagan Spooner: 5 stars, All the yes. Beauty and the Beast retellings are my favourite kind of retellings and this was a great one! Loved Yeva and the relationship progression and the family dynamics. AND the magic. Loved it.
The Comfort of Secrets by Christine Nolfi: 5 stars, Full review coming on Tuesday - this was awesome! I loved both Cat and Ryan and totally rooted for their relationship. I also really love how active friendships and families are in this series! 

Next Week on the Blog:

  • Monday Highlights #18
  • Clare Reviews: The Comfort of Secrets by Christine Nolfi
  • Clare Reviews: The Epic Crush of Genie Lo by F.C. Yee
  • Wednesday Catch-Up
  • Clare Reviews: The Arsonist by Stephanie Oakes
  • Friday Reads
  • Clare Reviews: Pretty Fierce by Kieran Scott


You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare), Facebook and Instagram to keep up with what we are reading. 

14 comments:

  1. YALC sounds like it was awesome! Glad you had such a great time. I love cons like that.

    Looking forward to your thoughts on Pretty Fierce. I have it but haven't read it yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first con I've ever been to but now I'm hooked! Definitely going back next year!

      Delete
  2. Your weekend sounds so great! Thanks for sharing, and enjoy the upcoming week of books. I loved The Comfort of Secrets, and I'm curious about Madness is Better Than Defeat.

    Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved The Comfort of Secrets so much! Christine is a wonderful author!

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy to hear you had such an amazing time at YALC! I feel like that any time book lovers get together it's always a great thing! :) A Beautiful Poison looks interesting - I'm really liking the cover. I'm also looking forward to your for review of The Comfort of Secrets. Happy reading, and have a great week! :)

    Lauren @ Lauren's Crammed Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My review of The Comfort of Secrets is now up! And it was an incredible time at YAlC - cant wait to go back! :)

      Delete
  4. Wow! You've read a lot of awesome books this week! Hope you have a great week!

    Here’s my Sunday Post !

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog and join in this week’s Book Photo Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling so lucky about the books I've gotten recently!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a fabulous tme for ya! I'd love to attend one day. Can't wait to see every single book:)

    My Sunday News

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to because it was incredible!! And yeah - working on that post is taking forever!! But it will be up soon!

      Delete
  6. Great books! :)

    Check out my Sunday Post at El's Book Reviews!

    Hope you have a great day!

    - El @ El's Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Have a lovely week!

      Delete
  7. Some beautiful covers on your list :) Hope you have a great week reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm big into beautiful covers!! Hope you have a great week too! :)

      Delete