Saturday 19 August 2017

Clare Reviews: Powerless by Tera Lynn Childs and Tracy Deebs

PowerlessTitle: Powerless
Author: Tera Lynn Childs and Tracy Deebs
Format: Paperback
Source: Received for an honest review
Pages: 320
Star Rating: 4/5
Blurb: Kenna is tired of being "normal." The only thing special about her is that she's isn't special at all. Which is frustrating when you're constantly surrounded by superheroes. Her best friend, her ex-boyfriend, practically everyone she knows has some talent or power. Sure, Kenna's smart and independent, but as an ordinary girl in an extraordinary world, it's hard not to feel inferior.
So when three villains break into the lab where she interns, Kenna refuses to be a victim. She stands her ground. She's not about to let criminals steal the research that will make her extraordinary too.
But in the heat of battle, secrets are spilled and one of the villains saves her life. Twice. Suddenly, everything Kenna thought she knew about good and evil, heroes and villains is upended. And to protect her life and those she loves, she must team up with her sworn enemies on a mission that will redefine what it means to be powerful and powerless...



I was very excited for a story about superheroes and supervillains. Especially one in which the lines between the two were not so clear. And I really enjoyed this story and these characters. 

The main character, Kenna, was immediately likable and relatable. She was very independent and was frustrated that her "powerless" status made all the supers treat her as breakable or weak. I would have liked to see more time with her Mum because I didn't get a huge sense of their relationship but I did love her friendship with Rebel. The rest of the cast of characters were all very interesting, they had a variety of super powers and varied personalities and I did feel like I got to know them fairly well - although I am also looking forward to learning more about them in the sequel.

The romance was a tiny bit insta-love. Purely because of the pace of the story I think. The whole book takes place within only a few short days so a romance does develop quite quickly however I loved that Kenna didn't immediately compromise her beliefs because she met a hot guy and she never ever said she loved him (or vice versa) so I'm giving it a pass. I could believe in their feelings for each other to an extent and loved their cute moments. I (again) am excited to see where this goes in the sequel. Also - I really, really loved how Kenna's ex-boyfriend wasn't a love interest. Their friendship was something I loved reading and I appreciated that the authors didn't take the route of a love triangle. 

The plot was very fast and exciting. Events happen quite quickly one after the other and it felt a bit like a heist movie - but with super powers. There were also plenty of twists and turns which were mostly surprising so it was definitely a one sitting book. I very much had to know what was going to happen next at all times - and it ended on a cliff-hanger so I am still left with that feeling!

One thing I would have liked more of, and that I really hope will be expanded upon in the sequel, is world building. As much as I loved the idea of super powered humans - I really needed some kind of explanation for their existence. And an origin for the societal set-up? And what makes a power inherently good or evil? Or does the society decide who is good or bad? I just needed to know more and I really hope we get more backstory in the second book. 

Powerless was an incredibly fun and engaging story with characters I already care a lot about and know I'll need more from - I will definitely be putting Relentless on my Wishlist. I have never read anything from either author before but obviously need to because together they have written a story I will be re-reading. 


You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare), Facebook and Instagram to keep up with what we are reading.

2 comments:

  1. This used to be on my TBR for a while, but I ended up losing interest and taking it off. HOWEVER, your review made me interested again + I really enjoyed Not Your Sidekick, so I now know that the whole superheroes and supervillains concept is something I very much enjoy. Love how you described the plot - you made it sound incredibly intriguing. Definitely adding this to my tbr again.

    Wonderful review! <3

    Veronika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been eyeing this one and I have to admit that I like this cover quite a bit more! :)

    ReplyDelete