Wednesday 8 March 2017

Top 5 Favourite Sci-Fi and Fantasy Novels + Waiting On Wednesday

Top 5 Wednesday is a weekly feature and you can find the goodreads group here. Ann is taking a break this week (well deserved I think) so I am taking over Top 5 Wednesday! It's been a while since I've done one of these but this is a topic I am excited for! 

1) Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1)
When this first came out I was skeptical but intrigued. I mean - I love Amie Kaufman and the format sounded interesting but it could so easily have gone wrong. Thankfully it did not. I love this book (and Gemina) so much and I can't wait for the third book.

2) Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)
I get the feeling this will be on  a lot of lists? Honestly this duology has kind of become my fantasy favourite. It's incredible and if you've read it then you definitely already know that and if you haven't? Why? Get on that!

3) The Magician's Guild by Trudi Canavan
The Magicians' Guild (Black Magician, #1)
Definitely one of the first fantasies I ever read (I used to be waaaay more into Historical fiction) and one that has influenced my taste a lot. I loved the world building and the character development and I always love it on re-reads as well. 

4) Starflight by Melissa Landers
Starflight (Starflight, #1)
If you liked These Broken Stars or Illuminae you would probably like Starflight. I honestly got it because hello beautiful cover! But then the story was just wonderful. I recently got the sequel Starfall and I think actually I might do a re-read of this first just because I loved the characters so much!

5) Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
Poison Study (Study, #1)
OMG my love for this series is so huge. It's one I constantly recommend to anyone whether they're asking for recommendations or not. I've re-read it so many times and I never get tired of it. I love the Glass series as well (which is set in the same world) and honestly I will probably just read anything Snyder writes.

Waiting on Wednesday:

Unearthed (Unearthed, #1)
When Earth intercepts a message from a long-extinct alien race, it seems like the solution the planet has been waiting for. The Undying's advanced technology has the potential to undo environmental damage and turn lives around, and Gaia, their former home planet, is a treasure trove waiting to be uncovered.

For Jules Addison and his fellow scholars, the discovery of an alien culture offers unprecedented opportunity for study... as long as scavengers like Amelia Radcliffe don't loot everything first. Mia and Jules' different reasons for smuggling themselves onto Gaia put them immediately at odds, but after escaping a dangerous confrontation with other scavvers, they form a fragile alliance.

In order to penetrate the Undying temple and reach the tech and information hidden within, the two must decode the ancient race's secrets and survive their traps. But the more they learn about the Undying, the more their presence in the temple seems to be part of a grand design that could spell the end of the human race...

I so, so, so nearly put These Broken Stars in my Top 5 - and honestly why didn't I just make it a Top 6? But Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner teaming up again makes me so happy. Plus this is described as Lara Croft IN SPACE. And I need that in my life. 

Released: January 9th 2018

You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare), Facebook and Instagram to keep up with what we are reading. 

14 comments:

  1. I was skeptical about Illuminae too, but really liked it. Starflight was nice and I have Starfall ready to go soon. It's really been a good year or so for space opera lately.

    Unearthed looks awesome and I love lost races/ ancient temples and all that so I'll definitely be getting that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Space opera was a genre I hadn't really tried before but now I am super into it! I am so excited for Unearthed it just looks incredible!

      Delete
  2. I adored Illuminae and Gemina! And, I can't wait for book 3! :D

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to read Illuminae because I've seen so many amazing things about it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was incredible and a surprisingly fast read as well! I definitely recommend it!

      Delete
  4. Actually this is the first list besides mine that I see "Six of crows". We have to tell more people about how good it is. It's in my top 3 favorite series of all time. I have Poison Study but for now it's just standing on my shelf next to the other books I need to read and patiently waiting its turn. Great list. Here is mine: Top 5 Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No? Really?? More people definitely need to read it then! Definitely in my Top 3 of all time as well! And you should definitely read Poison Study - I love those books!

      Delete
  5. Six of Crows is definitely my favorite too! it's sooo good!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, so good! I need more from the Grisha world!

      Delete
  6. Your top two picks are on my TBR. I need to hurry up and get to them! :)

    Here's my Top 5: http://ericarobynreads.blogspot.com/2017/03/top-5-wednesday-my-favorite-scifi-books.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you definitely should! They are incredible!

      Delete
  7. All of these are books I haven't read but really want to! http://shoshireads.weebly.com/home/top-5-wednesday

    ReplyDelete