Friday 24 March 2017

Friday Reads 24th March 2017

Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice and Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader. The idea is to share a sentence or so from the first page and the 56th page of the book you are currently reading!

Angels of Music
Book Beginning:
"Towards the end of the seventies - that colourful, hectic decade of garish clothes, corrupt politics, personal excess and trivial music- three girls were sent to the Paris Opera."

Friday 56:
"She picked up an apple from la Presidente's basket, flicked out her nails and rolled the fruit in her hand, letting the peel slither away from the flesh in an unbroken ribbon, then crushed it to juice with a sudden, powerful squeeze."

I am really confused about how I feel about this book so far. The prose can be very dense in places but at the same time the action scenes are very fast paced so the overall pace keeps getting changed up which is a bit jarring. But if you've ever wondered what Charlies Angels would have been like 200 years earlier then this is probably a good book for you. I am really enjoying the characters and the badassery - I really think that as a TV show this would be incredible and I would be glued to the screen but its slightly harder to get into as a book. I am enjoying it though and excited to continue. 
(Also - Irene Adler is my favourite so far and I need more of her please?)


You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare), Facebook and Instagram to keep up with what we are reading. 

28 comments:

  1. I think I'm going to have to add this to my tbr! :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a book I would enjoy. Thanks for mentioning it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Sounds good, glad you are enjoying this one. Thanks for sharing.
    Here is my post
    http://totallyaddictedtoreading.blogspot.com/2017/03/friday-memes-book-beginnings-and-friday_24.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never been a huge fan of Charlie's Angels. However, the setting sounds incredible and I think that this is one book that I would try. Thanks for sharing it. :)

    My BB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Charlie's Angels so the whole concept really worked for me! :)

      Delete
  6. I am a fan of books set in the 70s...I had to laugh about the "corrupt politics" remark, as not much has changed since then.

    Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “PERSONS UNKNOWN”

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cover definitely caught my eye.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  8. The prose does seem a bit dense in the pieces you shared. I like your "Charlie's Angels" description.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a weird mix of dense prose and fast action! But definitely very Charlie's Angels-esque!

      Delete
  9. I enjoy books set in the 1970s, but I'm not sure if this one is for me. In the 76 excerpt: does the character have super powers? Otherwise, how could she pulverize an apple? I'm curious, but I'm not much into fantasy.
    My Friday post features The Pecan Man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's set in the 1870s (at least at first and then advances up to 1910). There are definite supernatural things happening sort of in the background but its not really where the focus is!

      Delete
  10. OH!? I think I am confused. It it the 1670s or the 1770s? not the 1970s? Your comment about Charlie's Angels 200 years ago tipped me off. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah I should have been clearer - I got really confused when I started because to me the "70s" are the 1970s. But its the 1870s. And my maths is apparently terrible because that is clearly closer to 150 years ago not 200.

      Delete
  11. This one sounds rather intriguing, if a little strange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a very unique book - I'm glad I read it but I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about it!

      Delete
  12. You had me at badasseries and Charlie's Angels of 200 years ago. LOL

    My Friday 56 from Beautiful Broken Girls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!? Such an intriguing premise! It definitely is very Charlie's Angels - deliberately so I think, there were times it felt very much like it was modeled on CA!

      Delete
  13. Does this at all touch on or blend with the Phantom of the Opera story? The title hints at it. Also love you "charlie's Angels" comment. I'd love for you and your readers to check out mine . . . http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsSAIJK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Christine is a character and the Phantom is the leader of the "Angels" sort of the Charlie figure.

      Delete
  14. I'd need to know more before buying. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up enjoying it! Hope you had a good weekend and week!

      Delete