Sunday 2 August 2015

July Wrap Up and August TBR (And Mini-Haul)

Ann: 

This month I managed to read five books; The Program and The Treatment by Suzanne Young, Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson, Epic Fail by Claire LaZebnik and Still Star-Crossed by Melinda Taub.
Best and Worst:
Best Book: This is a tough question because all of the books I have read this month were great but I think the best book I have read is The Program although I also love the sequel The Treatment.
Worst Book: This one was very, very difficult because like I said I loved all the books this month but Still Star-Crossed was just slightly below the others.

TBR for August 2015:
Isle of the Lost by Melissa De La Cruz
Fateful by Claudia Gray
The Pledge by Kimberly Derting
When You Were Mine by Rebecca Serle
By Midnight by Mia James
I have also decided to join Clare in trying to read one classic per month and the classic I have chosen this month is Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery.

Clare:

This month I read a total of 23 books, I didn't manage to read all the books on my July TBR because I got slightly sidetracked about halfway through the month and switched to a different genre. I also completely failed at reading a classic and a short story anthology; I didn't even manage one page of either. 
Best and Worst:
Best Book: Like Ann's one this was a tough call but Made You Up by Francesca Zappia just about came out on top (honourable mention to Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda). This was just so well written and engaging and I seriously loved all the characters. Highly, highly recommended.
Worst Book: I actually had a fairly good reading month so The Fine Art of Truth or Dare by Melissa Jensen is less a disliked book and more of a just-didn't-connect-with-it book. The main character annoyed me and the love interest was just...not interesting.

TBR for August 2015:
I have decided to shake up my TBR a little bit this month since I feel like some books get pushed to the bottom and have little to no hope of ever seeing the light. So I've taken a leaf out of Ann's book and decided to TBR jar my reading list for this month, this should be interesting. I chose them randomly and then alphabetised them (because I am really not good at randomness).
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black: My brother bought me this for my birthday and as excited as I was to read it, I just never got around to it - now I have the chance!
Unremembered by Jessica Brody: I remember really liking the blurb of this when I found it in The Works, a really long time ago.
Third Girl by Agatha Christie: I have been watching Poirot with my Dad for a really long time but I have somehow never got around to actually reading the books.
Mechanica by Betsy Cornwell: OK I cheated, this isn't actually a random choice but its released on the 13th and I will probably be reading it straight away.
The Gift by Alison Croggon: A friend recommended this to me a couple of years ago, its quite a long book but I am looking forward to reading it.
The Captain's Daughter by Leah Fleming: Ah the Titanic, one of the many, many things guaranteed to make me cry.
Good Behaviour by Molly Keane: I don't really know what this is about but isn't the cover pretty?
The Girl with the Painted Face by Gabrielle Kimm: I have really enjoyed her other books so I have high hopes.
The Falconer by Elizabeth May: I had heard there was a cliffhanger so I was waiting for the sequel to come out - but we shall see.
Uneasy Lies the Head by Jean Plaidy: Probably my longest series I have yet to start. I own all the books in the series but they're kind of intimidating. That said I do really enjoy reading about the Tudors so fingers crossed!
The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan: YES! This probably the most exciting one. I was already planning to read this next before this TBR jar thing so that worked out well.
Netherwood by Jane Sanderson: For some reason I own the first and third books in this series but not the second! I have heard mixed things about this one.
The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold: See this is where the TBR jar is working because this was right, right near the bottom of my list. I bought this when I was feeling very mature and then remembered I am not in fact a terribly mature reader. Should be an interesting read.
The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig: Actually really excited for this one. I know its a very long series, although at the moment I only own the first two so this could be a good long term thing for me.
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne: Trying again with the classics thing. This was chosen randomly by my sister and its actually only a short read (256 pages) so I really have no excuse.

Haul:
The Last Ever After by Soman Chainani: I finally have the complete series so soon I can read them all.
Deceptive by Emily Lloyd-Jones: The sequel to Illusive which I am currently reading. A very interesting read so far.
Talon and Rogue by Julie Kagawa: I loved her Immortal Rules series and Ann loves her Iron Fey series so these seem like a definite win for us both.
Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard: I mentioned in a previous post (here) that this was a hyped book I had never read - maybe now I can jump on the bandwagon.
Isle of the Lost by Melissa De La Cruz: Ann mentioned in our Mid Year Book Freak Out Tag (here) that she really wanted to read this so I got a copy for her from Amazon.

So we've both had a really good reading month - here's hoping August will be as good! Let us know if you've read any of the books we've mentioned or what books you've read or plan to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment