Saturday 24 March 2018

Clare Reviews: Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor

Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer, #1)Title: Strange the Dreamer
Author: Laini Taylor
Series: Strange the Dreamer #1
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased
Pages: 432
Rating: 5/5
Blurb: The dream chooses the dreamer, not the other way around - and Lazlo Strange, war orphan and junior librarian, has always feared that his dream chose poorly. Since he was five years old he's been obsessed with the mythic lost city of Weep, but it would take someone bolder than he to cross half the world in search of it. Then a stunning opportunity presents itself, in the person of a hero called the Godslayer and a band of legendary warriors, and he has to seize his chance to lose his dream forever.

What happened in Weep two hundred years ago to cut it off from the rest of the world? What exactly did the Godslayer slay that went by the name of god? And what is the mysterious problem he now seeks help in solving?

The answers await in Weep, but so do more mysteries - including the blue-skinned goddess who appears in Lazlo's dreams. How did he dream her before he knew she existed? And if all the gods are dead, why does she seem so real?

There is nothing like a Laini Taylor book. Her writing is so uniquely beautiful and her characters so memorable. Strange the Dreamer was one of my most anticipated reads of 2017 and Muse of Nightmares (which releases 2nd October this year) is definitely one of my most highly anticipated for this year. 

Lazlo is easy to love for any reader - he shares our love of books and so instantly captured my heart when I was reading him. This is rare for me because I often don't connect as strongly with male POVs but here I was fully in love with him before the end of the first chapter and got so mad anytime someone slighted or upset him. Sarai was another easy to adore character. She is different to Lazlo and her story felt a little darker. 

World building is another strength for Laini - and there's a dynamic three dimensional feel to her books. I was there with Lazlo and Sarai the whole way through. So much so that I could feel what they felt - heck I could almost smell and taste the world around them. It's hard to describe how much Strange the Dreamer is an experience rather than a read. But it is. I feel like I went on this adventure and I am so emotionally attached and invested in every character and every moment. 

I know I will be picking up Muse of Nightmares the second it is released. And if you haven't already read Strange the Dreamer now is the perfect time as the paperback edition has just released (and is as gorgeous as the hardback was by the way). 

7 comments:

  1. Oooh! I love the paperback cover!! I still need to get around to reading this one! Great review!

    Erica | Erica Robyn Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should - it was such a gorgeous read!

      Delete
  2. Excellent review! I can't wait to try it for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I'm glad you enjoyed Strange the Dreamer. I also liked it and am looking forward to the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so excited for the sequel to come out as well!!

      Delete