Tuesday 10 October 2017

How to Survive the Zombie Apocalypse (Featuring our Brother)

I'm sure we can all agree - the Zombie Apocalypse is right around the corner. You've seen the movies, you've read the books but are you truly prepared? I know I'm not, which is why I have enlisted the help our little brother Robert, the zombie expert, to come up with some quick and simple rules that will help you ready yourself - and I found some examples from my favourite zombie stories!



1. Find a Base

Robert Tip #1: Get somewhere high

Maudit attack zombies elevator dawn of the dead GIF
You do NOT want to be surprised. Surprise zombies are the worst zombies. Any advantage you can get is good right? In The First Days by Rhiannon Frater the ones who survive are always up high. In forts, on hills, on top floors of apartment buildings. If you can see them coming they cant surprise you!

2. Don't Waste Ammo

Robert Tip#2: Only shoot them in the head NOT anywhere else

 the walking dead zombie sassy zombies badass GIF
Kind of an obvious one I'm sure but the ONLY way to kill the undead is the head. Ammo is not a never ending resource - this is the apocalypse guys. Of course you could go all wise (Like the above Walking Dead gif) and use a sword. This also comes under Robert Tip #3: If you have a knife make sure you stab them in the head and make sure they are dead.
 tv the walking dead zombie zombies daryl GIF


3. Don't Let Them Get Close

Robert Tip #4: Do not get bitten anywhere on your body

Sure this seems obvious but in how many zombie movies does someone get bitten and then try to cover it up in the hopes that they wont turn. If you get bitten - it's over. So simply do not let them get close. This circles back to rule number 1 as well - get up high, don't let them close.

4. Zombies Are Not Your Friends
 comedy zombies r warm bodies GIF

No Robert tip for this one because this is all me. I've seen Warm Bodies, I know that makes it look like they can be cured with love? But they can't. Zombies are not your friends. And if you're friends are now zombies - they are not your friends.

5. Squad Goals

glitter zombies pride and prejudice and zombies jane austin GIF
We're all better with friends. And if you have a badass zombie fighting team at your back? Your chances just went up. Plus you look way cooler. Just look at the Bennett sisters. Look at them. So stylish yet deadly.





And if you want some more Zombie tips check out these movies for some great rules to live by:
Zombieland (Actually has rules in it - also hugely funny)
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (For pure badassery and fun)
The Rezort (Its dark, it questions humanity, it genuinely made me jump - I also reviewed it here)
Warm Bodies (OK NOT rules to live by, remember to ignore it. But it IS a good movie)
Resident Evil (AND the games - will give you great examples of how to survive)
Dead Rising: Watchtower (Another one based on a game and it was actually way better than I expected it to be)



AND the Books:
This Is Not a Test by Courtney Summers (My absolute favourite and will give you strong feelings about Squad building)
The First Days by Rhiannon Frater (A little shaky in places but a really strong example of survival and some great characters)
The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (OK I actually haven't read this yet BUT I am reading it this Halloween and everyone always recommends it)
Alice in Zombieland (Sadly has very little to do with Alice in Wonderland - misleading title - but the zombie fighting is pretty cool)
Enrule by Holly Sparks (Again this is actually one from my Halloween TBR. I met the author at YALC this year and she was so nice, and this sounds incredible)


I hope between us Robert and I have managed to prepare you a little for the inevitable Zombocalypse. Good luck out there and hope you're all having a wonderful Halloween month so far!




You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare), Facebook and Instagram to keep up with what we are reading.

6 comments:

  1. I am always amazed in shows when people don't shoot them in the head. Then they waste ammo, precious time and sometimes their lives. I've never fought zombies before and doubt I'll ever have to but even I know that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping it never happens but at least we know not to waste ammo or time!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE THIS POST, YOU GUYS! <33 *saves it for the future zombie apocalypse that is BOUND TO happen one day*

    Love Robert's advices, THEY ARE SO ACCURATE, and also that you added examples from books and movies! I read Forest of Hands and Teeth A LOOOONG time ago, but still, let me know when you're reading it. I was pretty creeped out by it, but I was also like 12, so ugh, probably not very creepy, tbh. But it IS dark. Can't wait to hear your opinion. I want to read This Is Not a Test, so I might get that soon. ALSO, do you think I'd like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies?? I've never dared to read/watch it. (I'm more interested in the movie than the book, tbh.)

    WONDERFUL POST!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert has the best advice. He spent ten minutes today explaining to me how to kill a zombie with an axe. It was very informative.
      YES to the movie but no to the book. I didn't enjoy the book at all but I adore the movie. Let me know if you watch it??!! <3

      Delete