Sunday 3 September 2017

Sunday Post 3rd September 2017

The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted at Caffeinated Book Reviewer, it's a chance to post a recap on the past week, show the books we have received and share what we plan for the coming week. Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga's Reviews and Reading Reality and the aim is to show our newest books and to see what everyone else received for review, borrowed from libraries, bought in bookshops or downloaded on to their e-reader. As always you can click on any of the pictures to be taken to the Goodreads page for that book if you're interested in finding out more about it or click the title to go to the review.

I've had to drop out of the Reading Quest which breaks my heart but life has been manic and I can't help pressuring myself to complete ALL the challenges so I've decided to just stop putting pressure on myself and read what I want for now. Which sucks, because this was such an amazing read-a-thon! I can only hope it takes place again so I can really do it!

Last Week on the Blog:


Books We Got This Week:

Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons, #1)Codename VillanelleDark Breaks the Dawn (Untitled, #1)Genuine Fraud
Wonder Woman Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo: ITS SIGNED and I'm dead. My most anticipated book of the year from one of my all time favourite authors and its signed. 
Codename Villainelle by Luke Jennings: Many thanks to the publisher for sending me a copy of this for review. It sounds right up my alley - with assassins and spies - I just need to read it.
Dark Breaks the Dawn by Sara B. Larson: Total cover lust. Not too sure of the plot but the cover gives me Swan Lake vibes which is my favourite ballet. 
Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart: Signed. Again. Waterstones is the best shop on the planet confirmed. Just very, very, very excited for this one.

Reading Update:

InvictusAbout a Dog (A Bluff Point Romance #1)The Hearts We Sold
Invictus by Ryan Graudin: 4.5 stars, Really good time travel. It made sense, didn't confuse me too much (although my complete lack of time travel understanding meant there was a little confusion) and the characters were hugely lovable. Highly, highly recommend this one.
About a Dog by Jenn McKinlay: 3 stars, Super cute romance. The dog was my favourite thing about the novel (as it was always going to be) and I got so mad at what Tulip had suffered. If anyone hurt my dog like that I'd be murderous. I did have a few niggles with the romance but nothing major.
The Hearts We Sold by Emily Lloyd-Jones: 5 stars, God this book. Firstly the writing is superb. I 100% believed in every character and every situation. I could see events happening in my head which I always love (although was a little mentally scarring here jeez). This was honestly much more than I was expecting which is always a lovely surprise. 

Next Week on the Blog:

  • Monday Highlights #22
  • Wednesday Catch-Up
  • 6 Places I'd Visit If I Had a Time Machine
  • Friday Reads
  • Clare Reviews: Daughter of the Burning City by Amanda Foody

You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare), Facebook and Instagram to keep up with what we are reading. 

11 comments:

  1. Aww, sorry to hear about Reading Quest! And a signed Warbringer- nice!!

    Can't wait to see your time machine post- that sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope its fun! I'm having a lot of fun putting it together anyway!

      Delete
  2. Sorry about Reading Quest! I haven't been paying much attention to it myself. I've read a couple books, but it is pretty stressful when I start thinking about it and planning everything.

    Yay for signed books!! That's awesome. :D I'm happy to hear that the time travel isn't confusing. I've never had the best experience with time travel. The time travel is not explained that well or explained too much and becomes just confusing!

    Hope you and Ann are having a great week!
    Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what's happened to me, it's just stressing me out way too much to be worth it.
      I'm the same with time travel it just confuses the heck out of me (especially when they throw in paradoxes) but this was really well done thankfully!
      Hope you have an amazing week!!

      Delete
  3. I want to join so many challenges but learned the hard way how much stress it puts on me and it also pulls me away from books I'm wanting to read. Nice signed copy and it looks like some good reads for you to relax and enjoy.

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No matter how relaxed I try to be about them there's something in me that just stresses out so hard!

      Delete
  4. Genuine Fraud is on my list. I enjoyed the previous book by the author.

    As for challenges, I have decided to avoid them...except for my Read the Books You Buy Challenge. I don't like the pressure. LOL.

    Enjoy your week, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably a good policy! Challenges always seem fun but then I inevitably get stressed!

      Delete
  5. I loved The Hearts We Sold as well! Such an amazing standalone. I'm reading Invictus now and hoping I'll love it too. I didn't love Dark Breaks the Dawn, sadly. :/ I never participate in challenges because I have a rigid review schedule, and adding in a reading challenge would be too much. I tell myself that I need no help when it comes to reading, and a challenge wouldn't be fun for me!

    I hope you enjoy all of your new books! Have a fabulous week. =)

    Check out my STS post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good book haul! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you had to abandon your challenge...but yeah, if it's too much, it's too much. And congrats on those books :)

    ReplyDelete