Wednesday 24 May 2017

Wednesday Catch-Up 24th May 2017

Every Wednesday we are linking up with WWW Wednesday. WWW Wednesday is hosted at Taking on a World of Words and asks 3 questions: What are you currently reading?, What did you recently finish reading? What do you think you'll read next? You can click any of the images to go to the Goodreads page for that book!

Currently Reading:

The Progeny
I am about halfway through The Progeny by Tosca Lee and really enjoying it. I was a little worried initially because I am not a huge fan of plots dealing with memory loss as it's painfully personal for me but I love the main character and there has been plenty of action so far. My main worry now is cliff-hangers as the second book isn't readily available here.

Recently Finished:

Shadows on the NileThe Italian WifeThe Lost Girl of Astor StreetSpontaneousScorchedThe Raft
Shadows on the Nile was a re-read and The Italian Wife was the second to last Furnivall book I haven't read yet (the last being The Liberation). I didn't enjoy either as much as I expected to but they were still good historical reads. The Lost Girl of Astor Street was a great mystery with compelling characters. I wish I'd felt more emotional attachment at times but for the most part I really enjoyed it and hope there will be more. Spontaneous was another disappointment, this time because I just didn't care about any of the characters. It became a real struggle to get through. To fend off a reading slump I then read two really short, quick reads. Scorched was a great addition to Stirling's series and I loved how it ended and The Raft was a very good survival read - definitely strong on the realism front though so be prepared for dehydration and shark attacks and starvation galore. Such fun.

Planning to Read Next:

TornVanishing GirlsContagion (Dark Matter, #1)
Next up I will be reading two recommendations from Veronika @ Regal Critiques. Torn by Cat Clarke is one I am very excited for. I believe Cat Clarke will be at YALC this year which Ann and I are attending so I'm eager to read some of her books before going. Meanwhile Lauren Oliver is always an author I am drawn to so Vanishing Girls is a promising one as well. And then finally I might read Contagion. I'm in a very weird, fickle reading mood at the moment and keep picking up books and putting them down one chapter later so it's hard to tell what I want to read next but this really does appeal to me so hopefully??

You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare), Facebook and Instagram to keep up with what we are reading.

6 comments:

  1. I hope the Progeny ends well (cliffhangers- argh lol) and The Raft looks kinda awesome. Nice cover. :)

    Contagion has me curious, I don't think I've read her last book or two but I liked the Slated series. Speaking of which, I just noticed the similarity between the cover of Torn and the cover of the second Slated book. It's not exact but kinda similar? lol https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17269399-fractured

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I really love the cover for The Raft - and I am so hoping there is no cliffhanger for The Progeny but it definitely seems to be heading in that direction which is so frustrating!!
      Yeah I kind of see what you mean! It does look a little like the second Slated book! I hadn't even noticed!

      Delete
  2. I have The Progeny but never started it. Can't wait to see your review - maybe I'll bump it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good! But I'd definitely recommend getting the second book before you start - cause there is definitely a cliff-hanger!!

      Delete
  3. Torn caught my eye...and I'm curious about Contagion. Enjoy your week, and here's MY WWW POST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished Torn and it was very, very gripping. Super intriguing and intense!

      Delete